PDA

View Full Version : Removing cross bars

rjinga
07-14-2011, 06:26 PM
Hey everyone; Newbie here (bought a used 2001 V70XC for the wife this afternoon). We're personalizing it for her and she's like to remove the cross bars. I don't have any idea how to do that. :confused: They are labeled "Volvo" but they don't look like the ones shown in my owner's manuel. Ok, I think they are square profile cross bars.

Art
07-14-2011, 08:31 PM
http://www.volvoxc.com/volvo_photo_gallery/albums/userpics/normal_Torque%20Wrench.jpg

You need a T-30 torx tool like the one above to release the load bar feet. They're supplied with the bars so you might want to check with the previous owner if he/she is still in possession of it or if they left it somewhere inside the vehicle.

rjinga
07-14-2011, 08:58 PM
http://www.volvoxc.com/volvo_photo_gallery/albums/userpics/normal_Torque%20Wrench.jpg

You need a T-30 torx tool like the one above to release the load bar feet....

And I'm guessing a regular T-30 torx bit won't work (mine didn't anyway). [cussing]

Art
07-14-2011, 10:01 PM
The shaft has to be long enough to reach inside the hole. My original OE bars are no longer functioning so you are welcome to have my torx driver which is the one shown in the photo. I also have a 1/2 doz spare new/used rubber feet that came with my bars.

Let me know if you're interested.

Jorge-789995
07-14-2011, 10:29 PM
It's a security torx or a tamper resistant torx. Mine has a indentation in the bit that fits over a post in the head. A standard torx won't work, you need a security torx bit.

carboncow
07-16-2011, 04:41 PM
If they are Volvo then they are made by Thule for Volvo.

I have the factory torx T30 tool but a screwdriver T30 will work fine. If you cannot get enough torque by hand to losen them clamp a vice grip to the torx screwdriver.

Astro14
07-16-2011, 04:56 PM
I have the factory tool as well (pictured earlier in this thread)...and in putting the racks on this morning to go to Lowe's, I noticed that it is not just a T-30 torx...it is a T-30 security Torx. In the very center of the bit on the tool is a depression that fits in the torx head over the little post in the center of the star...in other words, go get a security T-30, regular won't work...

I got a set at Northern, you're going to need a long shank to fit into the rack - a socket won't reach...

rjinga
07-16-2011, 07:17 PM
Thanks everyone. Wife picked up a driver handle and a set of security torx bits for $10.00 at Home Depot. The cross bars are in the garage for possible future use. [thumbup]