PDA

View Full Version : What are some red flags when looking @ a 2004 XC?

stuartbury
07-12-2011, 07:26 PM
I am looking for a volvo XC. It will be me first "family" car primarily driven by my wife and have my first child in the back.

I found an 04 on craigslist. The only problem is it has 190xxx miles on it. I still want to check it out. What are some symptoms of things going wrong that I should look for?

Also is there anything (like flushing the transmission) that I should do right when I buy a car to prevent future problems?

I already looked at the FAQ and searched the sight. Sorry if I am asking a question that has already been asked.

millsa99
07-12-2011, 09:08 PM
Walk slowly back to your existing mode of transport and leave. I have a 2005 XC70 and the list of problems is truly astounding. Plus, it is never an easy fix and always costs a fortune. Along with my current radiator problem the front headlight bulb just blew (although it could be the housing has overheated). My mechanic at Volvo doesn't even want to know about it as he says if they replace the bulb it will fail within months and a new housing costs a fortune.

KC04XC70
07-12-2011, 09:25 PM
I'm at 130,000 miles now and my wheel bearings are all making noise now. Make sure the timing belt has been done at 100k. I would make sure the trans shifts smoothly and there are no leaks in the transfer case, trans, turbo, engine, etc. Make sure all the suspension parts and steering are solid. Springs, endlinks, wheel bearing, and trans are weak spots on these cars, most of the other stuff is pretty good and reliable. If u do the work yourself than you can save tons and parts aren't too expensive compared to other foreign vehicles. Car rides like a tank and floats like a caddy. Handles great in snow and has a lot of versatility. I really enjoy my xc70. Good luck.

jda2000
07-13-2011, 06:17 AM
If this is your first volvo, and this car had poor maintenance, it will be a nightmare and will make you sour on the brand forever.

Previous maintenance records are important, and if there aren't any, with that kind of mileage, I would walk away.

First, you need to decide if you really need AWD. Volvo's AWD is not the best and very pricey to fix when it breaks.:(

An '03+ V70 T5 with a good set of winter tires would be a good choice, and you avoid the AWD headaches.

Astro14
07-13-2011, 01:00 PM
If you're in KC - you don't need AWD.

Really, you don't...people slip once in the snow and say, "I need 4WD!"...but the reality is that AWD only helps you go. It does nothing to help you stop or turn. Stopping and turning are where 90% of the crashes occur in winter weather.

I love the T5. Great power, 28 MPG on the highway, practical, safe. Put 4 winter tires (real winter tires, like Blizzaks or Hakapelliittas) on it and in the winter, you will out-perform every AWD car hobbled by all-season tires.

And, at the risk of being cast out of the XC "club", consider buying a FWD and investing the money saved in the cheaper purchase of a V70 in a good set of dedicated winter tires...

Now, if you climb steep hills in the winter (skier) or live on a dirt road on a hill in snow country (as I once did) then, OK, maybe you need AWD.

But in that case, 190K is too many miles. Look for another example...

John@CdnRockies
07-17-2011, 08:52 AM
I'd say that 190,000 miles is pretty high mileage for an '04 XC-70. Ours has 140,000 miles and has been a phenomenal car - but I make sure to follow the maintenance schedule. If you are not given copies of the maintenance work, then I would keeping looking.

Consumer reports rates this year very positively and I would agree. We have had some front-end work (~$750), wheel bearings ($1,000), transmission flushes ($300) and the timing belt ($500) over the course of 7 years of active use. Nothing else to report asides from oil changes and a minor tuneup.

I am confident our rig will hit 200,000 miles (300,000 kms in Canada) but you should know that any European car will be expensive to fix. We have owned BMW's and Mercedes and the parts are very expensive as is the case for Volvo as well. The Volvo has been the best of them - by far. However, you are buying a car near the end of its life cycle which should make you hesitate ...

John

JRL
07-17-2011, 12:20 PM
Approx 30,000 miles a year! (plus or minus, probably plus)
There are MANY 04s with FAR less miles out there for sale