PDA

View Full Version : HELP! i need my car back!

volvomama27
06-27-2011, 12:22 PM
A few months ago I was coming home, and on a steep grade my car started making a weird hissing noise..followed by a grinding noise..I lost a little power..its been parked since, I had a friend run the computer on it..it said there's a problem with the turbo system :(...its not leaking any oil...it is running a little rich :(...my abs modular was going out...light was turning on anf off..prior to this...but that's not the turbo system...
We live miles in the woods..and the closest euro mechanic is 100 miles away :(...my husband dosent want me to drive it just in case I break it more...it starts fine and runs alright...just not at full power..what could be really wrong? Is it atill drivable? HELP! Pleeeease!

8pack
06-27-2011, 02:04 PM
Ok, Qualifier, I am not a mechanic but here is where i would start.....

The hissing noise is possibly a bad brake booster that is losing vacuum. Could be a line, which I sort of doubt as you would not hear it, but the brake booster you would hear....if that is the case, it COULD, and I don't know how all theses systems are connected, cause the ABS fault. In addition, a loss of vacuum would cause the car to run poorly and potentially with lower power. Again, not sure if that would set a turbo code....

Running Rich could also be indicative of loss of vacuum as the engine compensates.....

As long as the turbo is getting oil, there is not much damage you can do if you drive it and it is bad unless the turbine shattered or something horrific like that....

On the noises, the grinding noise could have been your ABS activiating when your booster lost pressure immediately after the hiss.....

I would start there..........

A bad ABS module on the other hand would not cause the loss of power, or hissing, but may cause the grinding noise....

howardc64
06-27-2011, 02:05 PM
Lets start by getting the computer code your friend found and posting it here. That would give everyone a lot more info.

I don't know there is a whole lot of electronics associated with the turbo. Just the vacuum activated turbo control valve and waste gate.

I don't think a failing/failed ABS module will cause any engine performance problems.

JRL
06-27-2011, 02:36 PM
Of course telling us the YEAR and MILES would really help!

volvomama27
06-27-2011, 11:03 PM
Of course telling us the YEAR and MILES would really help!

It is a 2001 xc70 cross country 5cyl light assist turbo....while it happened I did think it came from the drivers side tire....but I'm juat a girl lol and the boys just wrote it off, it only has 84k on her...I've had her for over a year...only put 4k onhher, had the oil changed 3 times...one time though we had it done on vacation...and they had overfilled it by over a quart!...it was a terrible shop!...she had blown blue smoke and over oiled the turbo!...we fixed the problem and blew the cats out, and she ran fine for 2k...idk...I talked with a good euro mechanic he things the turbo seized..but although I didn't have much less power I still made it home the half a mile on steep grade, the bill for a new turbo makes me wanna cry!..ill have to save up forever! :(

volvomama27
06-27-2011, 11:06 PM
Lets start by getting the computer code your friend found and posting it here. That would give everyone a lot more info.

I don't know there is a whole lot of electronics associated with the turbo. Just the vacuum activated turbo control valve and waste gate.

I don't think a failing/failed ABS module will cause any engine performance problems.

I will find out asap..I can't remember

greemero
06-28-2011, 05:32 AM
It could also be something called the ejector (I think). It's that black piece of plastic near the front of the engine that looks kind of like a "y". One of the hoses runs from it to the brake booster. I think it basically acts like a check valve in the vacuum line for the brake booster. Anyway, my wife called me in a panic one day because the car was running funny - basically stopped.

I could hear a hissing noise. When I got back home, I could see that the ejector had come undone at the seam. I could put it back together, but it was very easy for it to come undone again, so I used copious amounts of tape to hold it together while I ordered a replacement from the dealer.