PDA

View Full Version : Steering wheel turns = knocking sound

KILOFINAL7
06-25-2011, 02:44 PM
Hi Guys, discovered a problem. When I make any sort of input with the steering wheel I hear a drum beat type of sound. I opened the hood and turned the steering wheel and it seems to be coming from the driver's side shock tower.

There is a black plactic disc on the very top of the shock tower that turns but it doesn\t turn smoothly and the sound seems to be coming from this area.

I made an appointment for next friday at my mechanic - Scott Cunningham but was wondering in the meantime if anyone has experienced this. Can I drive the car or park it until next friday? thx in advance

cattlecar
06-25-2011, 03:07 PM
Check fluid level. Air in fluid can cause shudder in steering.
If fluid is full then the next likely cause is a binding upper bearing or ball joint.
Safe to drive as long as the steering controls car when moving normally and there are no bumps or bangs indicating something is dangerously loose.

JRL
06-25-2011, 03:26 PM
If the "rubber piece" called the SPRING SEAT is moving. it's a broke!
Replace it (replace both)

KILOFINAL7
06-25-2011, 03:36 PM
Thx cattlecar & JRL for yourfeedback. Yes, the black "spring seat" on both sides are turning. I will have my mechanic replace them. I love the XC70 so much, I may be a fool but I will spend to fix every little thing that comes up versus buying a new car from any other brand.

KILOFINAL7
06-27-2011, 12:10 PM
It's a broken spring coil. I'm too afraid to drive 100km to my own mechanic so I'm going to the volvo dealer down the street to get it replaced.