PDA

View Full Version : Transmission just replaced, works now, but still have a question.

oo7slice
06-12-2011, 10:09 AM
Just bought a 2002 V70XC with 120k miles on it and a bad transmission. I had my local Volvo guy replace it with a used transmission and it works well, but not 100%. Going into 3rd gear, there is a slight hiccup. He explained that the computer had "learned" the mistakes that the old transmission had made and had tried to compensate for the issues going on. With the transmission replaced with a working one, the computer needs to "unlearn" the mistakes before it runs completely smoothly, which could take months. He said the alternative would be to go to the dealership and have them reset the computer.

I have been driving it for about 3 weeks and it isn't terrible, and all other gears shift smoothly. I'm just wondering if this will go away like he suggests, if I need to have the computer reset, or if there is something else I should be doing. Also, just wanted to know if running it like this could cause any further damage?

Please let me know if you need more info and I'll do my best to supply it (although, I'm no mechanic). Thanks!

JRL
06-12-2011, 01:06 PM
Reset the adaptions (get available software upgrades from the dealer) and have them do a drive cycle

Astro14
06-13-2011, 02:39 PM
+1

Read through the valve body replacement guide here: http://www.volvoxc.com/resources/how-to/index.php

It describes the drive cycle at the end...it SHOULD have been done...

JRL
06-13-2011, 03:23 PM
Interesting drive cycle
I have NEVER seen any orange triangle....... EVER

oo7slice
06-14-2011, 07:10 AM
Thanks for the info so far!

So I guess I am left with this question...is a drive cycle necessary in order to smooth out my transmission, or will it fix itself eventually?

JRL
06-14-2011, 07:33 AM
Necessary for it to be 100%

Astro14
06-14-2011, 07:36 AM
Interesting drive cycle
I have NEVER seen any orange triangle....... EVER

Yep...had the dealer use VIDA to place the ECM in Adapt mode. The drive cycle instructions were from VIDA (I paraphrased them in the description) and I got the flashing triangle (briefly) after each "good" shift....that's how you know the computer has adapted that shift.....

The "Transmission Hot" message in the window worried me as well...but we pulled it up on VIDA and that's what it is supposed to say in the adapt mode.

Turn the car ignition off, restart, and all the messages/triangles are gone, car shifted perfectly.

Was identical on the T5 when I did that car...

To the OP. Don't wait for the car to smooth itself out, it could take thousands of miles. My dealer charged something like $80 to place the car in adapt mode, then I drove the cycle. If they do the cycle, it might be a bit more, but you want this thing shifting correctly...