PDA

View Full Version : XC wheel/tire changes

xc.logan
05-23-2002, 01:13 PM
I want to change the 16in wheels on the '01 XC to 15x6 wheels from a 1st gen XC. I also want to put BF Goodrich LT215/75R15 tires on the 15in rims that get installed...  Tire diameter and width are virtually the same.

Any comments?

Gundo
05-24-2002, 05:24 AM
one comment, why?

xc.logan
05-28-2002, 09:36 AM
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Gundo @ May 24 2002,05:24)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">one comment, why?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
A. I have these tires on my truck now and like them very much. &nbsp;I guess you could say I have a &quot;trust factor with them&quot;

B. The tires are one of the few that are not only mud and snow (M+S) rated but are also rated as a &quot;full snow tire&quot; (with the mountain/snowflake symbol on the sidewall). &nbsp;So I can go anywhere at anytime and not have to worry.

C. Triple banded sidewalls for better puncture restistance and better wear.

D. These tires can go on virtually any trail, track or road, and some places I would not take the XC as well.

I also had the same tires on the 2WD vehicle that my XC is replacing, &nbsp;that vehicle went many places that 2WD were not supposed to be able to go and had no problems. &nbsp;A lot of that was due to those tires. &nbsp;

LOGAN

Gundo
05-28-2002, 11:02 AM
Ok - I suppose this makes sense for special needs...I just had never heard of someone wanting to put a smaller diameter
wheel on a car...most go bigger.

Couple of concerns I&#39;d have:

More sidewall = less reponsive handling. &nbsp;I don&#39;t really consider the handling in my &#39;02 XC to be that precise as it is. &nbsp;I couldn&#39;t be much better with more sidewall.

Unsprung weight. &nbsp;In your case, unsprung weight would increase as the tires most likely weigh more than the stock version. &nbsp;This would cause increased ride harshness, and less responsiveness.

You&#39;ll need to consider these issues prior to putting smaller rims and bigger tires on your XC.

FWIW, the Pirelli Scorpions on my car have a great tread and have been great in the offroading I&#39;ve been doing.

Brendan

xc.logan
05-28-2002, 06:46 PM
Cool, thanks.....I appreciate the input. &nbsp;And am considering staying with the 16in wheels and Scorpions, I&#39;ll keep you informed on what happens.....

Thanks again&#33;

xc.logan