View Full Version : CHIP for 50 xtra horse

edjike
05-09-2002, 09:09 AM
My buddy is big into his Audi TT and has done everyinthg possible to modify it.  He called me this morning and said for 600 bucks I can have my XC up to almost 250 HP.

Does anyone have thougths are this?  Has anyone done this?

thanks

ed

coastal
05-09-2002, 09:38 AM
He's probably referring to the IPD/Motronic chip that was made available at the start of this year. I don't think the jump was quite that, think it was in the 30's which is still excellent!

I'm tempted to do it, but don't find myself searching for power on a regular basis. I'll be sticking with stock... for now at least. http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

Here's some more info on the ECU upgrade:
http://www.v70xc.com/news/ipd-ecu-upgrade-01-23-02/index.html

Gundo
05-09-2002, 10:24 AM
Pretty sure Volvo frowns on aftermarket chips if they discover them while performing warranty work. Make sure to be careful to remove chips prior to service...otherwise you run the risk of a voided warranty.

Some of the most aggressive chip use seems to be on older cars, most of which are out of warranty.

Anyhow, in just about every case, turbo cars benefit more from chipping than normally aspirated ones.  This is because the chips normally crank up boost levels and modify the fuel curve.  

Cranking boost can have severe negative consequences if you don't have enough fuel pressure.  The result is usually a blown head gasket or worse, blown piston. The head gasket is designed as a saftey valve to prevent engine damage but to replace a piston could be pretty costly.

I stumbled on a great link the other day that highlighted performance mods for Volvos.  The easiest way is cranking up the boost by changing the setting for the wastegate opening.

Here is the link:  http://www.easternaerospace.com/automotive/tips&tricks/

There are a bunch of performance mods on this page, but you want the link entitled: Adjusting the Wastegate Setting

edjike
05-10-2002, 04:05 PM
Hey guys, hope you see this.  I'm the guy w/the TT.  Running a GIAC chip from PES-tuning here in NJ.  Anyone familiar w/them?  

Not sure if the Volvo chip my guy sells is programmed by GIAC as well.  And, have not had a chance to dig down real deep to see the dynos and such, so still need to do more research.

Ron3KL
05-10-2002, 11:20 PM
Hey edjike, does the TT use the Motronic ME7 setup?
That's the crucial point with the latest V70XC models, and some other makers such as Porsche.

Bosch have gone to a lot of trouble to make things very hard to modify and the case of the IPD upgrade you actually have to return the entire ECU module for reprogramming, including the security details for the immobiliser  etc

Its not just a chip upgrade like on other cars. I upgraded the chip on my 850 and was hoping to do the same on my 2002 XC. Not the same thing. http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif

GeorgeXC70
06-10-2003, 04:11 PM
I dont htink it uses Motronic or then again I am not sure...

Hiro's XC
06-10-2003, 04:36 PM
GIAC makes great stuff for the VW/Audi crowd but I have yet to see anything for the Volvo from them. I had your chip in our 1.8T 2002 Jetta. I have the UPSolute chip in my TDI. Let's face it folks, you want a chip that has signifigant low and mid gains not top end power. These cars need more mid range. My TDI (here he goes again) chip gained about 20Hp. BUT it is set up for torque. Almost 60ft lbs more. Yes it's diesel so that makes a difference, but all chip are not created equal. Having said that I like the TME chip that IPD sells as it is tuned for the mid range. Yes there is a large gain across the board, but the mid range really takes off.

Jason

wiz
06-11-2003, 08:47 AM
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Hiro&#39;s XC @ June 10 2003,14:36)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Having said that I like the TME chip that IPD sells as it is tuned for the mid range.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Agreed. A reputable company and a price that is competitive for the work at &#036;895.00. I&#39;ve read that one or two other companies, like Steffansson Automotive AB (SAM) and even Heico who give a 24 month warranty on the ECU upgrade have had dodgy results with some customers.

SpudRacer
08-28-2003, 05:26 PM
Has anybody tried upgrading their engine performance yet using chips like what is mentioned in this thread? &nbsp;Does it affect mileage if you&#39;re careful with the throttle?

There&#39;s lots of mentions about chips in &quot;other&quot; cars, but nobody seems to have tried it in an XC70 yet.

Anybody?

Respectfully,

Spud

Martin #6
08-29-2003, 10:36 AM
SpudRacer,

I&#39;ve looked into it many times myself. If we keep the car, this Spring I&#39;m going to replace the exhaust and have the computer upgraded by idp. Hopefully someone will do the upgrade before then and post some results for us.

NUFAN
08-29-2003, 01:35 PM
Hi guys, not a xc owner, but I do have a chip in my 98 s70, it has the low pressure turbo(lpt). &nbsp;I got the chip in late june of this year with about 10 other volvo owners in the LA area, we had a group buy. &nbsp;The chip was installed onsite by a volvo chip tuner from phoenix named bill. &nbsp;He has worked on a lot of different kinds of volvos, but I&#39;m not sure if he has done any xc&#39;s yet. &nbsp;The chip is made by upsolute, they&#39;re an austrian company, and so far I couldn&#39;t be happier http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif . &nbsp;The chip has really changed my entire power band, and the turbo seems to spool up a lot quicker. &nbsp;Upsolute claims that I&#39;m at about 230hp, up from 190hp stock, and around 250 lb ft of torque, up from 199 stock. &nbsp;I havn&#39;t had the chance to dyno the car yet, but there is a noticible difference in the power of the car now.

There are a few chip companies out there who make volvo chips, again I&#39;m not sure if for the xc models. &nbsp;ipd(tme), bsr, upsolute, rica, and speedtuning come to mind off the top of my head. &nbsp;These chips start at about &#036;300 for the upsolute and speedtuning chips and go up from there. &nbsp;If any of you are considering a chip, give bill a call as he knows a lot about volvo&#39;s and would be happy to answer any of your questions.

Here&#39;s his phone number, (623)594-4313.

I don&#39;t work for any of these companies, or for bill, I&#39;m just a happy chip customer http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif .

Michael

NUFAN
08-29-2003, 01:42 PM
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Gundo @ May 09 2002,10:24)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Here is the link: http://www.easternaerospace.com/automotive/tips&amp;tricks/

There are a bunch of performance mods on this page, but you want the link entitled: Adjusting the Wastegate Setting[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
A quick note on eastern aerospace. &nbsp;The general census on a lot of the fwd volvo forums seems to be that they&#39;re power claims are bogus, and that the waste gate mod works to a certain extent, but not really. &nbsp;From what others have said on the fwd forums, not my own observations, it is best to leave the waste gate alone because at first your car might have an increase in performance and power, but after a while of driving with the modified waste gate, the ecu will adjust to the new waste gate setting and your power and performance gains will disappear as you car tries to go back to its stock setting. &nbsp;In other words, your cars ecu adjusts to the changes and negates them. &nbsp;Also, if you get a chip and have your waste gate turned from the stock setting, it can create power problems by not allowing your new ecu to perform to its full potential.

Michael

Martin #6
08-31-2003, 09:52 AM
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (NUFAN @ Aug. 29 2003,13:35)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"> The chip was installed onsite by a volvo chip tuner from phoenix named bill.

Here&#39;s his phone number, (623)594-4313.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Michael,
Would you possibly have an e-mail address for Bill? I would like to send him a couple of questions. Thanks.

NUFAN
08-31-2003, 11:38 AM
Here&#39;s bill&#39;s email: &nbsp;[email protected]

Michael

Martin #6
09-01-2003, 06:42 AM
Thanks Michael. I sent Bill an e-mail today.

barrysharp
09-01-2003, 08:28 AM
Martin:

Post back what you find out wrt the XC70s. Thanks. http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Martin #6
09-02-2003, 01:13 PM
Barry,

This is what Bill sent me concerning an ECU up-grade for my XC:

&quot;Hello, how are you? We have done quite a few XC&#39;s. All of our programs are safe to use with a fully stock car. No exhaust or intake is needed. The egt increase is well within the safe limits of the stock system. Adding an exhaust or intake will increase the power even more. The chip is safe with stock though. I am the distributor for your area, but will not be able to travel to your area for one vehicle. We do however have a 2 day turnaround usually.&quot;

I did call Bill to finalize a few details and will be sending the ECU to him for an up-grade in two weeks after I return from vacation. HP ratings will increase to 233 hp and torque up to 270 ft/lbs

SpudRacer
09-02-2003, 05:14 PM
Martin #6,

Thanks for being the &quot;guinee pig of the bunch&quot;.

We appreciate all the info you can give us on the transformation of your ECU. &nbsp;I am planning similar &quot;tweaks&quot; to our Crystal Green XC70 once we take possession in about 3 months and love to study the modifications by others to see the (+) and (-) after completion.

Hope it turns out as you hope. &nbsp;A jump from 208 to 233hp should be discernable to a sensitive &quot;seat&quot;.

Respectfully,

Spud

krs
09-04-2003, 08:56 AM
I was currious has any one done the modification for the wastegate opening ? http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/lookaround.gif I would be currious to see what are initial reactions.

Thanks

Chris

bill
09-04-2003, 05:01 PM
Hello, I am Bill. If anyone has questions about upgrades or ECU&#39;s feel free to let me know. I am also on Volvospeed often. Very nice site here. Look foward to reading all your information and posts. Also we have done the wastegate adjustment. It keeps the gate closed so more exhaust is diverted through the turbine instead of bypassing the turbo and going through the exhaust. This allows a faster spool up and more power earlier. The ECU will sense this over time and start to correct for it by adjusting the pressures it actuates the wastegate. You will need to reset the computer every so often to counteract this. The ECU upgrades handle this electronically as well as increase boost, modify fuel mapping, ingnition mapping and how they all relate to each other at different loads, temps, throttle positions, gears etc;
Regards
Bill

SpudRacer
09-04-2003, 06:20 PM
Is this the famous Bill we&#39;ve heard talk about?

My wife and I are planning on sending our ECU to you soon after we get our new XC70 in about 3 months.

Do you know if your changes to the ECU void the factory warranty?

Respectfully,

Spud

bill
09-05-2003, 01:30 PM
Yes I am he I suppose. It will not void the factory warranty. I would not say you have done the upgrade to the dealer though as they have been known to blame anything on what is not stock. Like bad suspension due to an IPD cat back. There is actually a law in the US stating that unless the part has been found to cause the problem the warranty cannot be voided for any other part of the car. I have done 100+ cars and more than half are volvo&#39;s with not one problem or dealer problem.
Happy Tuning
Bill

SpudRacer
09-05-2003, 01:57 PM
Thanks Bill for your information.

I guarantee you will be hearing from us within three months.

Can you provide us with specific details as to the performance we should anticipate seeing? &nbsp;I am seeking HP numbers, torque numbers, dyno numbers.

What other mods do you offer for the XC70 besides the ECU upgrade?

Respectfully,

Spud

NUFAN
09-05-2003, 02:28 PM
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (SpudRacer @ Sep. 05 2003,13:57)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Thanks Bill for your information.

I guarantee you will be hearing from us within three months.

Can you provide us with specific details as to the performance we should anticipate seeing? I am seeking HP numbers, torque numbers, dyno numbers.

What other mods do you offer for the XC70 besides the ECU upgrade?

Respectfully,

Spud[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Spud,

Here&#39;s a link to upsolute&#39;s website. &nbsp;I don&#39;t know if they have hp and torque listed for the newer xc&#39;s yet, but you can check around.

Upsolute Website (http://www.upsolute.com/)

As for other mods, you might want to search around on volvospeed for more ways to add hp and performance to your car. &nbsp;I&#39;ve found it to be the best volvo tuning website that there is. &nbsp;Here&#39;s a link to the forum on volvospeed.

Volvospeed forum (http://www.volvospeed.com/vs_forum/index.php)

Michael

barrysharp
09-05-2003, 04:59 PM
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (bill @ Sep. 04 2003,17:01)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Hello, I am Bill. If anyone has questions about upgrades or ECU&#39;s feel free to let me know. I am also on Volvospeed often. Very nice site here. Look foward to reading all your information and posts. Also we have done the wastegate adjustment. It keeps the gate closed so more exhaust is diverted through the turbine instead of bypassing the turbo and going through the exhaust. This allows a faster spool up and more power earlier. The ECU will sense this over time and start to correct for it by adjusting the pressures it actuates the wastegate. You will need to reset the computer every so often to counteract this. The ECU upgrades handle this electronically as well as increase boost, modify fuel mapping, ingnition mapping and how they all relate to each other at different loads, temps, throttle positions, gears etc;
Regards
Bill[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Bill:

Can you provide me a status on ECU upgrades for the &#39;04 S60R model. I would be most appreciative for any insights and/or info on this subject. Thanks. http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

bill
09-05-2003, 11:01 PM
We have done a couple upgrades on the new R. It needs to be individually tuned at this time. We read the stock files and modify them each. More complex and involved than the older systems. Very good results. The S40 are also individually tuned due to thier checksums and immobilizer. Almost any low pressure turbo car will gain around 30-35 HP. High pressure turbo 50 or so. Bi turbo 90 or so. The above link has all Volvo info in it. Click details next to your car for torque or Kw. mileage etc; It is always being updated so the new R is not there yet. Also I have downsized my shop and only really do ECU upgrades now. Used to supply suspension, exhaust, turbos etc but it is not what I want anymore. I have started to make our own downpipes and cat backs though and will concentrate on that one area now. We CAD/CAM the flanges and make whatever size pipe we need. I now run a full 3&quot; system with no crushed bends. Also started a turbo tubular manifold.