PDA

View Full Version : Newbie with questions

SteveA
06-08-2011, 04:39 PM
Greetings:
We are the new owners of a 2002 V70 XC. We picked up the car at a regional auction to be used by our college age kids for running around town. The car has 125K miles and is in very good condition.. This is our first Volvo. It took me a while to find the battery :)

The only defect I have found so far is that the hood latch cable is broken at the activator inside the drivers compartment. This will probably be a PITA to repair. A decent source for parts outside of a local dealer would be helpful. I also plan to change out the tranny oil and steering oil. I have read that Mobil ATF 3309 will suffice if I can find it locally.

The car also does not have a users manual or a backup key. I assume the keys are chipped so a spare should cost me a few bucks. Any help in accumulating these odds and end would be greatly appreciated.

JRL
06-08-2011, 05:35 PM
3309 is a neccessity not just doable
You also can use Toyota Type VI, same stuff and available at any Toyota dealer and much cheaper

Keys will be dealer only anda dealer only install

BillAileo
06-09-2011, 03:41 AM
From this link you should be able to download your owners manual:

http://www.volvocars.com/us/top/community/pages/yourvolvo.aspx

SteveA
06-09-2011, 05:48 AM
Thanks for the assistance. After digging around I found the tranny oil dipstick. The fluid looks a bit muddy but not burned. I will change it out ASAP after I pick up a case of T-IV fluid.

jda2000
06-09-2011, 06:21 AM
use pentosyn for PS fluid, not dexron or ATF

Astro14
06-09-2011, 07:31 PM
All good advice.

T-IV is what I use on both Volvos (just bought a case last week). Not burned means that the trans isn't toast...but muddy means you need to flush it. I recommend the IPD kit, because whole kit costs less than just the new o-rings from the dealership. http://www.ipdusa.com/products/4808/t7072-automatic-transmission-flush-hose-kit

They have just the o-rings for sale as well for subsequent flushes.

The Pentosin is a CHANGE from the owner's manual, which says ATF. The manual was updated after your year, and the CHF-11S is available at import parts stores or FCP Groton.

Thanks to Howard, from whom I learned this: http://howardsvolvos.webs.com/steering.htm

Cheers,

kamiar
06-09-2011, 09:45 PM
You guys in US don't get the 5L of Mobil 3309? In Montreal, Canadian Tire carries them for $30

SteveA
06-10-2011, 06:33 AM
Yesterday, I went to our local Toyota dealer and picked up a case (12) of T-IV and ran it through via the "Gibbons" method. I have pushed new fluid through all of my various vehicles' transmissions over the past decade so I am familiar with the process.
The old fluid was pretty dirty. Looked like very old used motor oil. Original fluid?? Maybe. The end result was that I had translucent red fluid running through the clear drain tube when I got down to the last couple of quarts.
Since this was an auction car, I have no repair/maintenance history. e.g timing belt, spark plugs, and the rest. I will simply go over the car bit by bit.
I do have to replace the hood release cable though. Not sure how long the remaining strands will last being yanked by pliers every time I open the hood. Thanks again for your input guys.