PDA

View Full Version : Oil Leak

Blackstone
05-25-2011, 09:15 PM
My 2001 XC seems to have some kind of an oil leak. If I take the bottom cover off the Bevel gear is covered in oil and now when I park the car there is a burning oil smell. I can not seem to see where it is coming from. Perhaps the turbo oil seal is leaking? Where are the most likely spots to look?

sjonnie
05-26-2011, 07:47 AM
You already identified it, turbo oil return line seal.

http://www.ipdusa.com/products/5352/7775k-turbo-drain-pipe-seal-kit

turbocon86
07-10-2011, 10:33 AM
I've got the same issue, but it's definitely not the turbo oil return line, it's the bevel gear (transfer case). I put my pinky in the fill hole and the fluid is not up to it--came out dry. I've done a search, and can't find a reference to the fluid used to fill it. Any recommendations? I'm no where near a Volvo dealer, so alternatives to OEM would be preferred.

JRL
07-10-2011, 11:44 AM
Either or
Clean it all up and drive it for 30-50 miles.
Then you will see where it's coming from

sjonnie
07-10-2011, 03:13 PM
I've got the same issue, but it's definitely not the turbo oil return line, it's the bevel gear (transfer case). I put my pinky in the fill hole and the fluid is not up to it--came out dry. I've done a search, and can't find a reference to the fluid used to fill it. Any recommendations? I'm no where near a Volvo dealer, so alternatives to OEM would be preferred.
I can tell if a gear is leaking because gear oil smells different to engine oil. Probably tastes different too but I haven't tried :D In any case, refill with synthetic 75W-90 gear oil, Mobil1 is highly rated. However, the oil level should not be to the fill hole, it should be about 1/2" below. Poke some thing down there to check.

turbocon86
07-10-2011, 07:31 PM
Thanks. I checked the turbo oil return line, that's why I'm sure it's the bevel gear. Thanks for the tip on the oil level. I based my assumption on the classic SAAB 900 transfer cases that I'm used to working on.