PDA

View Full Version : URGENT Help 02 XC70 won't start

cj3hockey
05-21-2011, 11:53 AM
My car turns over and catches for a second then dies...acting like no fuel, was fine when it was parked 2 days ago.

It is not showing any messages except the Routine Maintenance message just turned back on. (It is NOT giving me the Immobilizer messages, I went through that before and replacing the radio ring fixed it)

cj3hockey
05-21-2011, 01:02 PM
Nevermind.....

Actually, good info for other owners. My car has done this to me twice. It was running fine, gas a little low (1/8th tank or so) but the fuel light was not yet on. It sits for a couple days, then you go out and not enough fuel to get it running.

Perhaps my driveway is at just the wrong angle and the fuel drains completely away from the pick up?

Anyway, gas can and a few gallons of gas solved the issue (again)....

Ocean Racer
05-21-2011, 09:05 PM
^^ Lol, glad you sorted it.

A friend of mine at work kept telling me that his car would run like crap and stutter twice a month or so. I asked him bluntly "Does it have any fuel in it?" he replied, "Well it only does it when the fuel level is on E and an orange light is lit"
His car has been running fine ever since - he worked it out.

Now, the XC's do have an issue with the fuel senders which unfortunately plagues my ride. Continuous wear on the fuel sender / slider results in false signals as it effectively wears itself out and in addition, over time the sender wiring/cables get tangled with the float. I have seen the float get snagged / hooked on these cables resulting in a reading of 160km / 100mil DTE and the tank is bone dry.

Seamus
05-22-2011, 07:40 AM
Isn't there a recall for the fuel pump or something similar to solve the issue of not starting on hills cause it can't pump gas? I thought I read that on volvos website

cj3hockey
05-23-2011, 03:20 PM
^^ Lol, glad you sorted it.

A friend of mine at work kept telling me that his car would run like crap and stutter twice a month or so. I asked him bluntly "Does it have any fuel in it?" he replied, "Well it only does it when the fuel level is on E and an orange light is lit"
His car has been running fine ever since - he worked it out.

Now, the XC's do have an issue with the fuel senders which unfortunately plagues my ride. Continuous wear on the fuel sender / slider results in false signals as it effectively wears itself out and in addition, over time the sender wiring/cables get tangled with the float. I have seen the float get snagged / hooked on these cables resulting in a reading of 160km / 100mil DTE and the tank is bone dry.

True, but this isn't that blatant. When parked the car read right about 1/4 full and no fuel light on. It was parked on a relatively flat surface with the front drivers side as the low point.

No way it should freaking strand me in a situation like that.

I looked for fuel pump recalls and the only one is for potential cracked housings leading to leaks, and it isn't valid in my state...apparently my state has super uber pumps (or we just need to sue Volvo, to get included)

Ocean Racer
05-23-2011, 05:27 PM
For the record, I have been stranded 4 times in 12 months.
Parking with the front of the car down hill when the tank is low can reduce the DTE by 50km / 30miles