PDA

View Full Version : starter replacement

davew
05-13-2011, 08:27 PM
my senser on my flywheel is getting metal shavings on it making the check engine light coming on. it was supposidly cleaned by the dealer but the light came back on. the dealer says the starter and flywheel needs replacing. i have read on the forum that i can put a copper washer between the sensor and the mounting in the bellhousing. i was wondering is there a way to get the shavings out of the flywheel area? also afterward would it help to replace the starter without replacing the flywheel? i have no issues with the starter or any noise like a bad flywheel. thanks in advance Dave:)

jda2000
05-14-2011, 12:55 PM
try the large copper washer add-on first, inexpensive.

A volvo tech rec this, and said that 90% this issue is resolved by the washer, and that the metal shavings on the sensor are normal:p

davew
05-14-2011, 07:21 PM
thanks i will try it. i have some copper washers from the drain plugs from the angle gear. will they work?
Dave:)

jda2000
05-15-2011, 02:02 PM
it'll work, as long as the sensor can fit thru it :p

Chilled Man
05-15-2011, 02:11 PM
Replace starter -3 bolts and done
Replace flywheel - Remove tranny

you decide :D

Astro14
05-15-2011, 03:10 PM
+1 - I am with Chilled Man - I would replace the starter if I had a reason to...the flywheel, only if there were no alternative...

In your case, with no noise while cranking, and only some metal shavings on the sensor, I see no reason to replace either. Clean the sensor, put in the washer...run it for a month or two, listen for any grinding/clash from the starter and see how the sensor looks before taking on major surgery that might be unecessary...