PDA

View Full Version : Just got my mud guards, but...

berklee46
03-23-2004, 11:07 PM
Do I *really* need to take all the tires off to install them like the directions say?   Seems a bit extreme to me...

I'm planning on installing them tomorrow, but would love to NOT have to take the car apart to do it.

TrueBlue
03-24-2004, 02:48 AM
If you're a contortionist and have a right angled drill, then I guess you might get away with it.

If however, you are an ordinary mortal, then it best to take the wheels off - one by one.

You need to do that because you won't be able to get a hand drill in square, and probably will have similar alignment problems with the pop-rivet gun.

Bitter experience tells me that mosttimes it's best to get as much access as possible.

Anyway it's more comfortable to sit on the wheel wityh the car jacked up. IMHO

Avid Edit
03-24-2004, 09:32 AM
Berk,
     You can put the fronts on by clocking the wheels to the exterme, but be mindful that the rivets will spin. This in efffect grinds the heads off.( theyare very soft) I then punched them thru with an awl, and installed per instructions. A little bit of a pain in the butt,be prepared to spend some time on the floor about 1/2 hr. As for the rears,you will have to take the wheels off.  I had the dealer do it at an oil change.    
                                                              Have fun

ltoolio
03-24-2004, 11:39 AM
The added time you take to remove the tires will be well worth not destroying the wheel well with a run-away drill