PDA

View Full Version : Rebuilt Trannys - Volvo vs. Aftermarket HELP!

bkevitt
05-10-2011, 12:27 PM
2001 XCV70,140K - I am trying to decide what tranny to get for this car. A volvo re-built, (which uses all new internal volvo parts), a re-built using aftermarket parts or a used tranny. There are different opinions I'm sure. Some would say that volvo is the way to go. Others would say, well you are sitting there with a busted volvo tranny right now, so why would you use something that you know will have the same problems in the future. And as far as the used tranny goes I'm just plain nervous because it could already be bad. I'm confused and I need a tranny very soon! Please give me some advice. thanks.

JRL
05-10-2011, 01:31 PM
I don't think there are that many aftermarket parts except for valvebodies.
As finicky as these are, the thought of using aftermarket parts in an AW-55 would terrify me
(not having any experience with them)

jda2000
05-10-2011, 01:39 PM
the short answer is: go with volvo rebuilt.

billr99
05-10-2011, 03:31 PM
The question would be how many of the Volvo parts or the aftermarket parts are really AW parts or from AW suppliers? Then it is a question as to who does the best rebuild jobs? Its very possible that the aftermarket rebuilds are coming out of the same operation as the Volvo ones. Does anyone know where where these boxes are really coming from? And don't say Volvo because we all know that isn't true.

Cheers,

Bill

Astro14
05-10-2011, 04:12 PM
The Valve Bodies are rebuildable...in fact, because this trans was in Nissans and Saturns, there were millions made and they are supported by a whole cottage industry of aftermarket rebuilding supplies, including reamers, sleeves, etc, to do the Valve Body work. Check this out: http://www.sonnax.com/roadshow

For the tranny itself, it's complex, but the rebuild doesn't affect the software or Volvo control system. The rebuild replaces the parts that need replacing. Here is an example of the parts involved: http://www.levelten.com/Level_10_PTS_Volvo_Bulletproof_Rebuilding_Kit_p/vol-ja110-3000.htm
With the parts replaced, including the valve body, you have a rebuilt trans that is as good as new...better than new if we're talking the '01 and '02 models...

That said, I don't know who Volvo has contracted to do the rebuilding...but any trans you purchase from a Volvo dealer will be rebuilt. AW isn't making new ones...and I suspect that the parts included are aftermarket...

dfuerst
05-11-2011, 05:49 AM
Used: not an option IMHO. Why replace with another tranny that's likely to fail?

Volvo dealer vs independent rebuild: I'd go with independent rebuild. Pick a good shop that's been in business a long time and isn't likely to go under in the foreseeable future. Fixing the tranny is not rocket science, they're likely to have seen a *lot* of 2001-2 Volvos, but it is way, way, way beyond a DIY project. Go to the dealer and get screwed up the butt to the tune of $2000+++ over the indie shop, provided that you like it (it takes all kinds).

It's a big investment in the car. Not all 2001-2s are worth fixing, at this point. Although it made (dollars and) sense to fix it at the time, if the wife's tranny goes out again, the car will be scrapped and we'll wash our hands of Volvo. However, at about 2 years, things are running smoothly <knock on head>.