PDA

View Full Version : Squeeky rear trim

MCGHS
05-09-2011, 06:52 PM
Good Evening fellow 2008 XC 70 Owners,

In the last two weeks the trim around the back window of our 2008 Volvo XC 70 started to make a rubbing/creaking sound. I loosened the 2 screws holding the carpeted rear lower section from the plastic trim and was able to insert some 1/4" foam between the plastic and the metal window frame. But 2 days later the creaking came back.

Has anyone else experienced this annoying noise or am I the only one?

Any suggestions would be helpful. I have a call into my local dealer to see if anyone else complained of this noise. It is driving me nuts.

Thanks in advance,
MCGHS

rovermark
05-10-2011, 07:56 AM

In the last two weeks the trim around the back window of our 2008 Volvo XC 70 started to make a rubbing/creaking sound. I loosened the 2 screws holding the carpeted rear lower section from the plastic trim and was able to insert some 1/4" foam between the plastic and the metal window frame. But 2 days later the creaking came back.

Any suggestions would be helpful. I have a call into my local dealer to see if anyone else complained of this noise. It is driving me nuts.

Thanks in advance,
MCGHS

I'm not sure what you mean by "back window". Which one?
A lot of the cars, including mine, had a rattling noise around the rear door hatch - it turned out to be an issue with the lock and the official fix was Lithium grease. It sounds though like yours is a plastic creaking sound; in that case, luckily mine does not have that yet.

If it under warranty, have them fix it.

MCGHS
05-10-2011, 03:27 PM
Sorry for not being specific but it is the rear window plastic trim. I also thought it was the latch and applied lithium grease.

Yes, it is still under warranty but I thought I might give the repair a try before I returned the car to the dealer.

Thanks again.

Kiwishamoo
05-14-2011, 11:53 PM

Thanks in advance,
MCGHS

Would a little WD40 applied sparingly between the two fix the problem? (WD40 is mostly plastic safe I believe)

Finlaggan
06-18-2011, 10:33 AM
Not sure that this was exactly what you describe, but I have recently taken my MY11 XC back to the dealer to have the tailgate looked at. Noise started by sounding like loose trim around the tailgate, but got slowly worse over a couple of months till it sounded like the whole tailgate was rattling.

Don't know exactly what was done, but the dealer said that it was a known issue and subject to a modification from Volvo. Whatever was done seems to have worked.

MCGHS
06-21-2011, 04:24 PM
I solved my squeeky rear plastic trim to rear window interface. I bought a small tube of silicone grease and applied it between the plastic trim surrounding the window starting from the carpeted area on the left all the way around to the right, Lo and Behold the noise went away and I regained my sanity once again.

Perhaps this solution will help others with similiar issues.