PDA

View Full Version : Factory toys in other vehicles....

XCscott
01-09-2004, 09:01 AM
A few threads here seem to be about "I love my XC but why..." and "I wish...". Well here are some items from an electronics standpoint that are in my 2nd vehicle, '03 Chev Trailblazer LTZ, that maybe people could banter about as positives or negatives. Most of the items below are programmable by the driver from a menu on the dash contrlled by the steering wheel buttons.
1. Optional automatic locking doors when vehicle shifts into gear.
2. Complete Driver 1 and Driver 2 settings. Allow me to explain. My wife is driver 1. When she opens the car with her remote it sets the seat and outside mirrors to her profile. It sets the heat control settings to her last settings. It changes the radio settings, stations, equilizer, volume to her preferences. When I use my remote or simply hit the #2 setting when in park, it changes everything to my preferences.
3. "Easy exit" seat option. When the vehicle is placed in park, the seat backs up about 3-5 inches creating additional clearance from the steering wheel. Very beneficial if you are 6-9 months pregnant.

On a previous vehicle there was a fairly innovative but ultimitely doomed 8-6-4 cylinder control. This was the old GM Cadillac engines from the early 80's. Depending on the vehicle revs the engine would actually "close" active cylinders to reduce gas consumption. If you do an extreme amount of highway driving this was very good. However the technology was probably too far inferior for the idea at the time.

Anyone else have some innovations/toys from other cars that we can debate the merrits of?

Outrageous
01-10-2004, 10:07 AM
1. Compass
2. Auto-dimming side mirrors
3. Right-hand mirror tilts down in reverse.
4. Tire pressure sensors
5. Electrically heatable windshield
6. Weatherband radio
7. Air suspension
8. Heated steering wheel
9. Heated rear seats
10. Tiltable rear seatbacks
11. Power-operable rear hatch
12. OnStar
13. Locking differential(s)
14. Low-range gearing

Chipshot
01-10-2004, 03:50 PM
Outrageous just about covered it for me.
While we're at it, how about some of these?

- Autopilot
- Wet Bar
- Laser Turret
- Toilet
- Heated Wiper and Turn Signal Levers
- Amphibious and Aerial Capabilities
- Traffic Light Controller

By the way, Outrageous, how long have you lived in Lebanon? I lived in Hanover and W. Lebanon about 20 years ago. A nice area.

NeuDaddi
01-11-2004, 11:05 AM
Chipshot, I think you meant to add a few more:

1.  Rocket launchers hidden behind front headlights
2.  Passenger and rear seat eject mechanisms
3.  Rocket Chaff...to defend against other motorist-launched aerial weaponry.
4.  Bulletproof glass
5.  Steel plating
6.  TEMPEST shielding
7.  Flux Capacitor

Chipshot
01-11-2004, 02:26 PM
Now we're talking!  It's James Bond meets Back to the Future!  Transporter and tractor beam, anyone?   http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif

littlewaywelt
01-12-2004, 06:59 AM
While a heated turn signal would be nice I think everyone is missing the obvious.
stealth
the F-XC70 has a nice ring to it.
Barry probably knows the right people to make this happen.

Outrageous
01-12-2004, 08:56 AM
Looks like we're going to have to wait a few (thousand) years for the new model.
Chipshot, check your personal message box.  By the way, how long were you in this neck of the woods and what were you up to?

Avid Edit
01-12-2004, 04:46 PM
Last but not least....
      MR. FUSION...!!!!

gibbons
01-12-2004, 08:55 PM
Howzabout an oldie but goodie:  A dash mounted ash tray where I can put spare change for parking meters, plus the odd bolt or parking validation sticker.  A week after we bought it, I carried the change to the car in my hand after buying a bagel with a dollar bill.  I wanted to start the parking meter fund.  Doh, no ash tray!

Also, for us US drivers, I think it would be a good toy to have a speedo with a US-ish top speed, 120 max.  Aren't they governed around there anyway?  That way the needle would get more sweep per given speed, so you have better resolution at a glance.  These 2.5 mph graduations fatigue me.  I feel like a supercomputer trying to keep track of my speed.

Outrageous
01-13-2004, 05:45 PM
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (gibbons @ Jan. 12 2004,19:55)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"> That way the needle would get more sweep per given speed, so you have better resolution at a glance. These 2.5 mph graduations fatigue me. [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
The Saab has a nice speedometer--the numbers are nicely spread out up to 90mph and then they&#39;re packed closer together up to 160mph.

Chipshot
01-13-2004, 06:00 PM
Who remembers the old (OK, really old) Volvo speedometers with the &quot;pointed bar&quot; that moved in a straight line from left to right in a long, thin window? Some people I knew were forever wondering whether the tip of the point or its middle indicated their speed. Looking back, I imagine the answer was in their owners manuals waiting for them to find.