PDA

View Full Version : Can 2004 xc70 parts be swapped into 2002?

cj3hockey
04-28-2011, 12:31 PM
I have a 2002 that is getting up there in miles (150K). I was looking at a mostly intact 2004 with a salvage title as a possible parts car (for drivetrain, interior, glass, etc.) just in case. It has 138K on it. I know the motor in the 04 is 2.5 as opposed to my 2.4, but if my 02 gives up could I drop the engine and trans from the 04 directly in?

Is the 04 transmission less crappy than the o2....[sly]

Thanks.

Astro14
04-28-2011, 04:38 PM
While the '04 transmission was better made from the factory than the '02, if your '02 has been rebuilt - it's every bit as good.

I can see you're tempted by this, but I wouldn't...it's not like the 60's - where I can swap blocks and trannies all day long. The '04 trans won't work with the '02 engine and the combo of '04 engine and trans, while tempting, is going to require computer work (reprogramming) to get it to run correctly in the '02...

I think that interior colors changed slightly as well...but that may have been in '05...

Still...I would caution against the parts car idea unless the year was the same...

JRL
04-29-2011, 04:39 AM
Simple answer is no, at least not without a HUGE expense

billr99
04-29-2011, 05:31 AM
As JRL alludes to, you probably can't use the big lumps without a computer-based hassle. But you should be able to use the rest of the drivetrain aft of the gearbox, suspension bits, various switchgear and interior parts, and the major body bits. You just need to check your copy of VADIS/VIDA to see the year range on the parts in question. If you can get a salvage cheap enough and are planning on keeping your '02 long enough, it could be cost beneficial as long as you are doing the work to remove and then install the parts. And of course, assuming that the parts you are getting off are decent enough.

If you consider the price of the various odds and ends that will probably go out on your '02 in the next couple of years you will easily spend a couple of grand on things like alarm modules, gear selection sensors, and all the other small crap that I have replaced on mine over the last 18 months or so. If I could have gotten a wrecked heap for about that with enough useable bits on it and assuming that my wife would not have minded the corpse out in the back forty, I would have done it.

Cheers,

Bill