PDA

View Full Version : 2006 xc70 tow capacities

steveapp
04-28-2011, 04:44 AM
I bought my first volvo last year, a 2006 xc70, (our plan was a mid sized suv)and this year I bought a popup camper. the camper is close to the max 3300 lbs(1500kg) max weight, but the tongue weight seems a little light at 185 lbs. Can someone shed some light on why? usually 10% is the rule of thumb for tongue weights.

My plan is to put all of my camping cargo in the camper, that will bring my weight to around 3100 lbs. Most of my camping is within a 5 hr ride of home, and with a 4 yr old daughter, a break in the trip is usually necessary. Not a whole lot of hills, and the ones that I do cross are less then .75 mi long and not overly steep. The car us still under warranty until next year, so a transmission cooler is out until then. And I have put a weight distributing hitch on the camper, and I have electric brakes.

Am I overloading this car? or dagerously close to its capacity? Or is volvo just being overly cautious with its capacity?

Astro14
04-28-2011, 05:56 AM
I've towed with a 245 Turbo...similar size and slightly lighter weight car with a 3000 LB trailer. You're not overloading the car, but you are subjecting it to the most strain the factory envisioned for it.

The trans is one issue...I would ensure that you have fresh fluid prior and I would replace the fluid after. Recommend the gibbons flush with Mobil 3309 or Toyota T-IV. Best you can do on that point.

While driving, I would let the trans shift itself, but going up a hill, I would consider going geartronic and selecting a gear that gives me relatively high RPM - you'll get less converter slip and fewer gear changes. I would not use engine braking going downhill since you've got electric brakes...all to save strain on the trans. The electric brakes are helpful...though your Volvo brakes are good, this will help your stopping distance.

The bigger issue is trailer weight vs. tow vehicle...a 3300LB trailer is going to push your Volvo around significantly. The 185 LB tongue weight worries me a bit as well...can you shift the cargo/equipment around inside the pop-up around to get it up to 250-350 LBS? A tongue weight of 10% of trailer weight would increase your stability....I couldn't explain why the trailer was built that way...maybe the track and length of this trailer have been tested and found to be good?

Finally, while towing with the old 245, the oil temperature ran about 10 - 15 C hotter than normal. I would recommend a good synthetic oil - in fact, I bet your manual recommends the same thing for towing. A 5W40 or a 0W40 for summer, or a 5W30 for winter. Don't fall into the old trap of "10W30 is thicker than 5W30"...it isn't...not anymore...they're the same at 100C...particularly if you use synthetic...

steveapp
04-28-2011, 11:38 AM
Sorry for the confusion, the max listed tongue weight for the xc70 is 185lbs. that was my confusion. And with a class 2 hitch, I am not sure if a WDH is straining it. So I agree to your point that it would be stable at a 10% Trailer/tongue ratio. I did get a fresh trans service, and oil change, and with only 53k on the car, I dont feel that its past its prime.

I thank you for your reply.

Astro14
04-28-2011, 11:56 AM
Ah...OK. I understand a bit better...

Steve, Bottom Line: I think you're OK to tow that trailer with this car. As with any car that is used for towing, you're going to have to do more scheduled maintenance.

I have not towed with this car, but I have loaded it up for long road trips and it does just great. As far as the tongue weight, I would think the limit is the rear suspension load vs. the hitch capacity...so by keeping the cargo in the back to a minimum...you ought to be OK...

steveapp
04-28-2011, 05:16 PM
I appreciate the input. The plan was to keep all the cargo in the popup and just people in wagon. keeping the weight balanced in the camper and using a weight distributing hitch, I will just keep the speed down.

Thanks again.