PDA

View Full Version : Timing belt and Cam Oil leaks

T-cab
04-17-2011, 07:13 PM
Have a 2001 XC70. I was to have the timing belt changed after 130 KM. (car has now 312,000 KM). The Volve mechanic upon checking the car said that I would need to replace the Cam shaft front and back seals and the crankshaft front and rear seals due to leaks. I don't know if this is really needed as I am only down 1L of oil after 5000 km. There are no oil leak spots on the garage floor, so the leaks, if there are any must be small.

Any advise would be appreciated.

T-cab

Astro14
04-17-2011, 07:59 PM
Oil on the T-belt will kill the T-belt, oil degrades the rubber and makes it susceptible to breakage.

Break a T-belt on this engine, and you have valves hitting pistons...If you're lucky, it will only cost $2,000 to have that repaired...if you're not lucky, it's a new engine.

So, you want to fix any oil leaks on the "front" (passenger side) of the engine, 3 of the 4 seals mentioned...but it would be odd for all 4 seals to go simultaneously...and your consumption is low...

More likely, given the age, is that the flame trap is plugged up - causing excess crankcase pressure and forcing the oil out past all the seals. Check the flame trap first, and replace it if needed...bet those leaks go away after you do...