PDA

View Full Version : Bought a used XC? What's the worst you found?

jderosa3
04-14-2011, 07:30 PM
I was working on my wife's XC70 and pulled the plugs on the car - found that someone used AC Delcos... [sly]... plus the turbo pipe was ripped and never replaced. Car was pristine, but that doesn't mean the person who owned it before took care of it.

Anyone else have an eye roll issue with their XC?

jda2000
04-15-2011, 06:18 AM
Early P2 volvos came with Champion copper plugs from the factory and the cars run great with them, so don't believe the myth that "ONLY VOLVO PLUGS FOR YOUR VOLVO" :p

I still use champion copper plugs in my T5 and runs great, so AC delco if equivalent should be fine.

jderosa3
04-15-2011, 07:16 AM
This is the first time I heard this. Glad to hear they are running good for you... i guess you're right, but i will say I had a VW once... if you did not run NGK Iridium Plugs... that thing would choke.

Not to compare the Volvo to the VW... but I'll take an Euro over a US car anyday...

gibbons
04-15-2011, 09:10 PM
i'll take a Japanese over a Euro any day :) If I have to actually trust it, that is...

jderosa3
04-15-2011, 09:11 PM
touche

Zacharias
04-15-2011, 10:12 PM
i'll take a Japanese over a Euro any day :) If I have to actually trust it, that is...

LOL oh you nasty man, you... Farting in Volvo church, no less :eek:.

I do have to second that if the worst thing you find, on your used car, is that someone put AC Delco plugs into it... you're doing fine.

Shops tend to stick with suppliers and lines of parts they trust, or simply get a good deal on. My mechanic, for example, puts Mopar oil filters on just about everything that rolls in the door.

tom_m
04-16-2011, 12:59 PM
Someone has fitted four-c dampers to the rear end of my '01, despite it being a nivomat chassis. About to fix that so the rear ride height matches the front.

Nothing else major I've found yet, but there is an oil leak on the back of the block I need to track down.

JRL
04-16-2011, 02:29 PM
Jap car = always arrive, however perhaps a bit bored.
Volvo = may arrive, always an adventure! :rolleyes:

Chilled Man
04-16-2011, 07:45 PM
Front right spring broken
Broke Tranny
Interior Trashed

thats just on the 01XC that I manual swapped.

The crap I have found in cars I have bought and parted ...... used condom ... ewww

Zacharias
04-16-2011, 09:11 PM
thats just on the 01XC that I manual swapped.

Ah, now isn't this interesting. Had not thought of that.

Do you have a thread reference on that?

Tks

Zacharias
04-16-2011, 09:13 PM
Jap car = always arrive, however perhaps a bit bored.

Toyota: agree 110 pct
Honda: agree 50 pct
Nissan: no experience to speak from

Subaru: not sure I agree :D