PDA

View Full Version : Lucas 75w90 GL5 Syn Gear Oil?

jderosa3
04-13-2011, 08:34 PM
I have two liters of Lucas 75w90 GL5 Syn Gear Oil - I need to change my bevel and rear differential oils. I can't find anything that would tell me not to do this, but I wanted to check here to see if anyone had any experience with this brand.

Personally I come from a marketing background and can't help but feel that most of these oils are the same... if the bottle states 'GL5 meets or exceeds' then I assume it is fair game.

Anyways... any thoughts? I have always liked Lucas products. They seemed to have always worked well for me in the past, but this is my first AWD vehicle... thanks for any help.

kamiar
04-13-2011, 10:26 PM
I have two liters of Lucas 75w90 GL5 Syn Gear Oil - I need to change my bevel and rear differential oils. I can't find anything that would tell me not to do this, but I wanted to check here to see if anyone had any experience with this brand.

Personally I come from a marketing background and can't help but feel that most of these oils are the same... if the bottle states 'GL5 meets or exceeds' then I assume it is fair game.

Anyways... any thoughts? I have always liked Lucas products. They seemed to have always worked well for me in the past, but this is my first AWD vehicle... thanks for any help.

Should be fine for bevel gear but the rear diff uses a slightly diffrent oil i guess GL4 or something...

jderosa3
04-14-2011, 12:09 AM
Can anyone confirm the GL4 spec for the rear diff? Same weight? I'll be stopping by the auto care center after work before i get my hands dirty. Thanks again for the insight.

sjonnie
04-14-2011, 03:01 PM
Mobil1 Synthetic 75W-90 gear oil will be fine. They're both hypoid gears after all. Oh, or that Lucas stuff probably will be fine too.

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l64/JAGMAN06/401.gif

jderosa3
04-14-2011, 07:26 PM
Mobil1 Synthetic 75W-90 gear oil will be fine. They're both hypoid gears after all. Oh, or that Lucas stuff probably will be fine too.

Thanks for the tip... just changed the gear and engine oil... running smooth as can be now!