PDA

View Full Version : 2003 XC70 Transmission Rebuild - Good Idea?

Tnjed3
04-05-2011, 05:43 PM
Okay, here we go……

I was lucky enough to have a shop suggest a transmission fluid change on my 2003 XC70 (I was also dumb enough to approve it) and they remove the dreaded 27mm bolt to install new fluid and my car lost third gear. The shop was clueless as to what went wrong. I actually found what cause the problem on this forum (Thanks Guys!) and suggested they look in to. The shop has since looked into it and agreed that this is what has caused the problem (they also admitted fault). They have since sent the car into a transmission shop to have it looked at and they are suggesting a transmission rebuild.

What are my options here? Is this my only option? What is the history with transmission shops having the ability to properly rebuild a Volvo Transmission? Are my chances for future issues high?

Thanks for any suggestion or advice.

wgriswold
04-05-2011, 05:57 PM
Somebody, probably on this site, described a process to reattach the lost part in the transmission. A search here should turn it up. If not, Google for it. It seemed really simple and inexpensive.

MacNoob
04-05-2011, 07:35 PM
It's in the XC70 Transmission Nightmare post - the second sticky in this forum and right at the top of the page!

http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15297

jda2000
04-06-2011, 07:50 AM
I would only accept a volvo rebuilt tranny , or from a shop that is familiar with these volvo trannies.

DO NOT ACCEPT AAMCO rebuilds or you'll have issues with the tranny soon afterwards..

Astro14
04-06-2011, 08:27 AM
A rebuild is NOT needed in this case!

Cattle Car's solution to the lost Band anchor is brilliant - any decent mechanic should be able to follow those instructions, and with an hour's work, have you back on the road with a full-up transmission...[thumbup]