PDA

View Full Version : Researching the 05 XC90 T6

billy22g
03-27-2011, 03:24 PM
Hi everyone,

Been reading a lot about this particular SUV after totalling my 4Runner in the mountains and finding one on craigslist with all the maintenance records and all service done on time, etc.

It's a 2005 Volvo XC90 T6, and they replaced the Transmission at 75,000 miles. I'm at the higher end of my budget in purchasing this vehicle so I want to try to determine what I can expect in terms of service/maintenance/repairs going forward.

It has 92,000 miles and the timing belt has not been changed (recommended at 105k), so I assume I'll have to do that in the next year. I assume that's going to run me (with everything like water pump, seals, etc.) about $1200 in total parts/labor.

With the tranny having already been replaced, should I expect this one to last or should I expect similar problems even with the replacement transmission?

I'm choosing between this and the Lexus RX300, and the latter is much less expensive, but I love the look, feel, and cargo space of the Volvo, so I'd much prefer that if I can expect reasonable costs going forward.

I would really appreciate any input/suggestions! Thanks so much!

dmd
03-27-2011, 06:22 PM
Expect the trans to go at any time, if this is at the top of you price range then
you cant afford it... Run dont walk away unless they lower it enough for a new
transmission.

billy22g
03-27-2011, 06:47 PM
The price is right at $10500 for a XC90 T6 with 92,000 miles and only 15,000 miles on the current transmission.

If (when?) the transmission should go at some point down the road, is there a chance that Volvo would help cover the cost given the frequency of the issue?

I really love the car and can't find anything even CLOSE to the price ballpark. The people selling it don't need the money and they just want more money than the $10k that Carmax offered them.

Think the value is worth it at that price point? Thanks for the feedback. I'm really torn because I love the car but the tranny seems to be a huge issue.

billy22g
03-28-2011, 10:31 AM
Not sure if anyone is familiar with this, but I just called a couple dealers, and both said that if the transmission has been replaced since December 2009, it should be good, as the transmission was completely redesigned to improve this issue around that timeframe.

The car I'm considering, the transmission was replaced in April 2010 at 76,000 miles, so the both dealers' service departments said I should be ok with that transmission. Thoughts from anyone more knowledgeable about this? Thanks!

dmd
03-29-2011, 08:09 PM
If it fails, or when, you could just take it to a shop that specializes in the GM trans and
get it really built. Then it should last.