PDA

View Full Version : Buyers guide?

tom_m
03-21-2011, 06:33 AM
Hi,

I'm looking at an '00 (I'm guessing it's actually an MY01 from the looks) V70 XC 2.4 Classic this weekend. It's got around 160,000 miles on the clock and it's got a manual box.

I've had a fairly good root around the site, but have yet to come across a buyers guide. Can anyone give me any pointers of what to look for (it's been living on the coast, are there any common rust areas?) and more importantly what to walk away from?

Cheers
Tom

PS: I'm in the UK, I guess that would affect the spec list somewhat.

RockitShip
03-21-2011, 07:27 AM
Since it's a manual box it's probably OK, but beware of the throttle body on these years 01 — 02 (car will run rough on acceleration, etc.) No rust issues on these cars.. none that i've heard.. very good in that regard. Also beware of plugged up PCV system & look for leaking cam seals as well as oil leaks from turbo oil lines & sometimes leaking/weeping (ok) angle gears. Check to make sure AWD is functioning and also make sure timing belt has been done, or when it needs replacing next. Also make sure front suspension is good, & check springs, seats, control arms, end links, etc.