PDA

View Full Version : Drive Shaft Boot Question

BillAileo
03-20-2011, 02:51 PM
I was changing the oil on my 2003 XC70 with 127,000 miles today and noticed that a very substantial amount of grease had escaped from the inner boot on the right front (passenger side) drive shaft. I could find no damage to the boot itself. It appears the grease has seeped out from under the area where the large clamp is crimped on. I tightened that crimp (there was about a quarter inch space left to tighten) but I doubt that it made the joint much tighter than it was. I am unaware of any symptoms of any problem yet except for occasionally hearing a faint front whine that I could never isolate. Any recommendations on how to proceed? Would it make more sense to replace the complete drive shaft than to replace boots?

Thanks in advance for any help.

JRL
03-20-2011, 03:09 PM
If it's not making any noises you can try to just regrease and reseal it
This still requires pulling the axle for the inner boot

Aviator
03-20-2011, 03:10 PM
Someone else had this issue not long ago. I think they just refilled the joint with the proper grease, and replaced the clamp on the boot with one that could be really cinched up nice and tight. No leakage after that.

Dave.

Aviator
03-20-2011, 03:11 PM
This still requires pulling the axle for the inner boot

Not if you use an open ended CV boot clamp.

Dave.

JRL
03-20-2011, 04:02 PM
I suppose so if the inner boot is not torn
owever, usually when it's leaking there, it IS torn

FirstVolvo
03-21-2011, 07:14 AM
If the boot is not damaged, here's what finally worked for me.

http://www.box.net/shared/tfzaztq04q

BillAileo
03-21-2011, 01:17 PM
Thanks for the advice. I got an open ended CV boot clamp, cleaned everything up, added grease and tightened the clamp. As far as I could tell the joint looked clean and still well lubricated despite the loss of grease. Now time will tell...

Aviator
03-21-2011, 01:52 PM
Good to hear.

Dave.