PDA

View Full Version : what to do first

gary g
03-19-2011, 05:47 PM
Just bought a '01 xc70 w 160k on it. Wife LOVED it, so we took a chance on it and bought the 90 day warranty from local independent dealer. Needs a few things but don't have much $$ to invest so I am looking for advice on what to do first. Main problems are 1. clunking in front end -local guy says it is tie rods and 2. surging/hesitation off the line -local guy w Volvo experience says throttle body. Engine light just came on w 2 codes: valve timing and cam actuator(?). Could be timing belt (last replaced at 108k). Could a stretched timing belt cause the surging as well?
Local guy suggested putting some miles on it and then seeing what we might be able to fix under the warranty. Sounds like a decent plan, but it won't pass inspection w engine light on. Suggestions? Many thanks!

JRL
03-19-2011, 06:07 PM
Prey
Then take it back to where you bought it and have them fix EVERYTHING.
If they balk, have them take the XC back and buy another, just not an 01.
Throttle body alone is over $1000!

howardc64
03-19-2011, 11:39 PM
If clunking front end occurs over bumps, it is more likely spring seats.

Most of these cars gets first timing belt change at just over 100k miles. I've never heard of stretched timing belt throwing a code. I will say that when I put new belt on, it is clear the old belt and new belt differ slight because the cams have to move just a tad to get everything to fit.

If you are lucky and have warranty, you should do what JRL said and get them to fix it. Document the problems, some of these issues like ETM can be hard to track down and may take awhile to find the real cause. You don't want your 90 day warranty expiring before fully diagnosing these problems.

gary g
03-20-2011, 05:45 AM
not what i was hoping to hear, but i appreciate the responses :)

Astro14
03-20-2011, 08:12 AM
I think Jim meant "pray" as in "seek divine help"..."prey" as in "hunt down and kill" might be a bit extreme in your case...:p

FWIW - My wife loves her XC - it's a great car...

However, there are some common problems with this vintage and the advice here is good: get them to fix all the outstanding issues while under warranty.

I recommend Howard's site - his experience has paralleled that of many of us and is more comprehensive than any post could be.

Clunks have many possibilities: spring seats, tie rod ends, sway bar links, control arm bushings are among the things I've replaced.

The codes lead me to suspect the cam actuator. It could be that the belt was put on poorly too - pretty easy for guys to be off one tooth - but I doubt that it ran for 52K with a belt that was installed wrong. Get that throttle body looked at - it's expensive, though there are some companies that are rebulding them...

Take it back on Monday and have them go through it with you...don't be put off for a later date...they're hoping you'll forget about the warranty because they're going to have to eat some serious labor and some parts cost on this...

jdp6000
03-20-2011, 09:14 AM
Just bought a '01 xc70 w 160k on it. Wife LOVED it, so we took a chance on it and bought the 90 day warranty from local independent dealer. Needs a few things but don't have much $$ to invest so I am looking for advice on what to do first. Main problems are 1. clunking in front end -local guy says it is tie rods and 2. surging/hesitation off the line -local guy w Volvo experience says throttle body. Engine light just came on w 2 codes: valve timing and cam actuator(?). Could be timing belt (last replaced at 108k). Could a stretched timing belt cause the surging as well?
Local guy suggested putting some miles on it and then seeing what we might be able to fix under the warranty. Sounds like a decent plan, but it won't pass inspection w engine light on. Suggestions? Many thanks!

Valve timing and actuator codes could be because the timing belt was installed with the cams off a tooth. Mine was on an S80, code was "left bank over advanced". I had the belt reset. Expensive almost $350.

Surging most likely the throttle body. Probably needs cleaning maybe bad all together. Check with Volvo. I have an 03 XC70 and know the warrnaty was extended by Volvo to 10 years and 200,000 but don't if thats 200,000 miles or km. Cleaning about $150. Replacement throttle body is $800.

Clunking could be tie rod ends. Had that two. Cheap fix. About $80 a side with labor.

Aviator
03-20-2011, 03:16 PM
Engine light just came on w 2 codes: valve timing and cam actuator(?)

Let's get this sorted before we condemn the throttle body as the cause of the hesitation. Valve timing, and its variation, are of the utmost concern at this point, and problems herewith will cause hesitating.

Dave.

gary g
03-20-2011, 05:02 PM
ok.
gonna start w the dealer. not especially hopeful there, but nothing to lose either. next step is to see what can be done under the warranty and hope for the best. Maybe clean the throttle body myself and see what happens.

thanks all!

Ocean Racer
03-20-2011, 07:29 PM
Prey
Then take it back to where you bought it and have them fix EVERYTHING.
Totally Agree.
I did this when I bought mine with 90 day warranty.
They had to foot the bill for all necessary repairs to a total of $1500+ [thumbup]