PDA

View Full Version : Rear View Mirror

uablami
03-17-2011, 07:02 PM
I have a rear view mirrow gone bad (I think). I see a semi-circle of completely clear glass with a darker tint in and around it during the day. Does this mean the auto-tint has gone bad? Do I need a new one? If so, do you recommend where I can buy a replacement for cheap? I have a 2001 XC70. Thanks!

kain
03-18-2011, 03:48 AM
Unfortunately yes it sounds like the mirror auto-tint has crapped out on you. Unfortunately no you cannot buy a replacement cheap. Replacement mirror needs to be programmed to work with the car and it can only be done at a dealer. I think I was quoted $500-600 to replace and reprogram a new mirror. If you do a search here you can find some threads on fixing the old mirror by replacing just the glass but keeping the guts of the old mirror.

When mine stopped working I just dealt with it. Some day I might get around to replacing the glass.

JRL
03-18-2011, 04:32 AM
Yes, apparently you can swap guts but you can't just use a used mirror. That won't work as it's tied to the alarm system

RockitShip
03-18-2011, 07:09 AM
What about one of these? Certainly a much cheaper option!

http://www.autoanything.com/mirrors/61A1522A0A0A2668300.aspx

kain
03-18-2011, 07:31 AM
RockIt, I don't think that will work. As JRL said the mirror is tied into the alarm system and without the correct, programmed mirror installed the car becomes immobilized IIRC.

I don't even think removing the old mirror and just installing a dummy rear view works because the car is looking for the programmed mirror which is not in place.

Please someone correct me if I am wrong.

jda2000
03-18-2011, 08:13 AM
buy a used one, preferably '04 or newer.

transfer the glass portion of the replacement to your rearview mirror case with the UEM.

You need the original UEM or the car won't start.

RockitShip
03-18-2011, 10:57 AM
So what is the UEM? A chip? If the UEM was put into the new housing, then would the car recognize it?

JRL
03-18-2011, 11:36 AM
buy a used one, preferably '04 or newer.

transfer the glass portion of the replacement to your rearview mirror case with the UEM.

You need the original UEM or the car won't start.

That won't work
Only an 01 or an 02 will and you still have to change out the guts

RockitShip
03-18-2011, 12:30 PM
That won't work

Is there any way of turning off the function of the rear view mirror? In other words, I wonder if any models came without a powered mirror, and perhaps it is just a function of having VADIS reprogram the car (mirror delete) and then put in an aftermarket mirror of choice and simply provide power to it for an auto dim or just use an ol' fashioned (non-powered) mirror.

jda2000
03-18-2011, 01:23 PM
That won't work
I disagree.

'01-07 will work, but the newer ones '04+ don't come with the double taped foam. Come with the easy clip-on plastic back

I did the fix myself. Bought an '04 rear view mirror and I transferred the mirror portion to my rear view case with the original UEM.

UEM= Upper Electronic module

FirstVolvo
03-19-2011, 09:41 AM
The lowest cost fix is to buy a used rear view mirror assembly, disassemble it and transfer the electronics from the bad mirror to the good mirror. Doing it this way also gives you the option of going the manual dim route.
This is a medium difficult DIY fix though, you have to carefully pry apart the rear view mirror case, unsolder a couple of wires and carefully pry away the circuit board from the back of the mirror with two-side adhesive tape. See link below.
My auto dim mirror never got dark enough for me (programmed full dark too) so I bought a used manual adjust dimming rear view mirror and converted. I transferred the electronics board from my original mirror to the manual dim mirror and case. The manual dim rear view mirror is noticeably darker when dimmed and improves night driving a great deal.

Thanks to vegasjetskier for the great write-up, many pictures and ingenuity…

http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=16275

pricedm
04-04-2011, 07:56 PM
I have a rear view mirrow gone bad (I think). I see a semi-circle of completely clear glass with a darker tint in and around it during the day. Does this mean the auto-tint has gone bad? Do I need a new one? If so, do you recommend where I can buy a replacement for cheap? I have a 2001 XC70. Thanks!

this post by texascanuk dated 20090801 has complete instructions and pics:

http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14289&highlight=replace+mirror

Pelimanni
04-05-2011, 12:26 PM
Our recently wrecked 2001 XC70 has a auto-dimming rear-view mirror in flawless condition. You can have it for $125 plus actual shipping costs. Please PM me if you are interested.

Thanks!