PDA

View Full Version : Advice please-sell or part out our XC70?

Caleb3
03-17-2011, 08:23 AM
Our '98 XC70 has served us well for years but we no longer need it. The body and interior are good and the car has been maintained, but it now has 213K miles. It runs fine, has new tires and great AWD, but the motor mounts are worn and the ABS needs fixing as does the turbo oil line (the regular issues). If I can't sell it for around $2,500 it seems I could get more parting it out (if there is much of a market). What do others think? Thanks...

smp375
03-19-2011, 04:34 AM
In Wisconsin, I doubt the car will net $2500 with the necessary repairs. I personally dismantled a '97 Saab 900SE last year because I was left with no other choice after the engine blew; there isn't a single piece of the car that I can't carry by myself. The disassembly alone was an extremely time consuming endeavor and the selling of parts takes even more time. I have been able to recover about $4000 from about 10% of the parts, but a year later I'm still dealing with storage, listings, phone calls, packaging, and people who simply waste my time getting things ready and then drop contact before finalizing the deal. At this point I can say there isn't a single piece of the car I wish I didn't have to look at again. If your car is still roadworthy just get what you can out of it and be done with it; you'll be happier in the end. Even if you did get $4000 from the parts you sell, it doesn't do much good when it trickles in over such a long period of time.

JRL
03-19-2011, 05:00 AM
If I can't sell it for around $2,500 it seems I could get more parting it out

No, you won't