PDA

View Full Version : Tight turns in a 2003 xc

toomooks
04-22-2003, 08:18 AM
I love my 2003 XC70, but it behaves strangely in tight turns.  When the front wheels are turned to their maximum (either left or right), it is very difficult to get the car to move.  I have to give it a lot of gas and it moves very reluctantly -- jumpy, not smooth.  Is this normal?  It certainly makes it a pain to get in and out of tight parking spaces.

littlewaywelt
04-22-2003, 08:22 AM
This doesn't sound normal.  I haven't experience this in my 01, but you have the haldex system, which may behave differently.  Anyone with a 2003 notice this?

barrysharp
04-22-2003, 08:36 AM
toomooks:

WELCOME http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

I drove my XC70 MY2003 in Sweden/Norway after pickup from FDC recently and am awaiting for it to arrive at this time. However, during my driving of the XC70 I found no problems of this kind as I certainly made several U turns in either direction at max steering input.

Is this 'more' of a problem when in reverse vs. forward gears ?

When this happens are you using full Auto or Geartronic manual mode ?

How many miles on your car ?

Has this been a problem ever since you've owned the car ?

Did you buy the car new or used ? (presumably new as it's a 2003)

Road conditions -- dry, wet, icy, snow, etc ?

I would certainly have your local Volvo servic dept take a look at things -- and more importantly I hope they can duplicate the problem as that should help them resolve it.

Good luck and post back what is done to resolve the problem.

budrichard
04-22-2003, 09:05 AM
No problems. Try turning the wheel full lock and then easing up a bit on the force when turning. See if that helps. -Dick

Hiro's XC
04-22-2003, 10:26 AM
Dick has that one right. The steering cranked over to the lock it hard on the whole system fron the tie rods to the power steering pump.

jason

alpinist
12-19-2007, 05:58 PM
Something similar happens to me when making tight radius turns in parking at low speeds (<5mph) on wet pavement. The tracking seems jumpy like the two front wheels are tracking slightly different directions. I think with the wet pavement, its slippery enough that one wheel slips as the two fight each other. It creates a jerking motion while turning. On dry pavement, it prob also happens, but the slippage is more progressive and not as evident. I never have problems getting it to move though. Sounds like your problem is more severe. Maybe its an alighnment issue. I had mine done 10K ago.

alpinist
12-19-2007, 06:26 PM
I was just doing some more thinking and reading. Maybe its a problem with the AWD system? I've been thinking that it is a tracking problem with one front wheel relative to the other, but maybe it is an issue with the front relative to the rear wheels? That would explain why it is so difficult for you to move. The AWD system should decouple on tight radius turns. Maybe your system is staying coupled with high pressure on the clutch, and mine less so with lower pressure. That would explain similar symptoms with varying derees of severity.

budrichard
12-20-2007, 07:10 AM
Happens with all the 4x4 and AWD drive systems i have owned when cranked over hard, take it easy and no problems.-Dick

Reverse
12-21-2007, 09:36 AM
I love my 2003 XC70, but it behaves strangely in tight turns. &nbsp;When the front wheels are turned to their maximum (either left or right), it is very difficult to get the car to move. &nbsp;I have to give it a lot of gas and it moves very reluctantly -- jumpy, not smooth. &nbsp;Is this normal? &nbsp;It certainly makes it a pain to get in and out of tight parking spaces.

My 04 XC acts about the same as any AWD or 4WD when the 4WD is engaged.

The wheels of the vehicle are rotating at different rpms this is what generates that annoying "feeling."

If a Class 8, a Freightliner, Mack or Volvo, truck is continuously driven in a tight circle on dry pavement, it can actually hop a wheel off the ground. :D