PDA

View Full Version : Unsafe n unreliable. Need help

macplee
03-11-2011, 03:50 AM
clear

Willy
03-11-2011, 08:52 AM
Just a wild guess (but not wilder than the dealer's it seems) as a starter:
how about the battery? Bad ground/chassis connection?
Willy

dpaton
03-11-2011, 10:04 AM
Most seem minor to me (see below) but each should be addressed. I agree - have the battery checked first.

-Blower motor running at full speed when I first enter the car after it sat all night in my driveway.
There is a fan relay in the engine compartment known to fail - search the forum for more info (check your wrecker or Erie Vovo).

-Using the windshield fluid function made the rear speakers produced static sounds, but stop as soon as I let go of the washer fluid lever.
This is a known problem but there may be no solution - search the forum.

-Driver heated seat motor failed twice and left unfixed after second time.
Heater is one device, motor is another but the wrecking yard may be able to help you to fix both with another seat.

-Power window both driver side and passenger would roll up with one touch, but come right back down by itself as though its hitting something.
This is a s/w setting. The dealer can fix this for you - no one I know is able to fix this without expensive s/w so pay the stealership or your local indy who have the s/w to reset the top position.

Ocean Racer
03-11-2011, 10:18 AM
Battery terminals must be on TIGHT.

I would also look at the relays in the tailgate and engine bay. After replacing all of mine with new ones, all electrical gremlins went away :)

jdp6000
03-11-2011, 02:33 PM
Battery terminals must be on TIGHT.

I would also look at the relays in the tailgate and engine bay. After replacing all of mine with new ones, all electrical gremlins went away :)

I agree with the above. Its the most likey cause, Try the battery and connections first. Then go to the relay's. You maybe getting water on the ones in the rear left..at the back of the car.

I know if the vehicle battery is disconnected within about a minute of turning the car off your computer will lose memory of some functions. So imagine what will happen if there is a loose connection when driving. The windows for example are a prime example of that. They only way to restore there function is with Volvo software.

Jim

macplee
03-11-2011, 04:35 PM
a

jdp6000
03-11-2011, 07:21 PM
Many thanks friends. The battery is only 5 months old and I bough it from the dealer. The connection is tight, but I will check it again.

I have another Volvo (S80) so I could switch the two batteries and test it out that way. Next I will try replacing the relays. Are these standard relays or do I need to purchase them from the dealer? I am not aware that there are relays in the rare, just know the inside and under the hood one. Where would I find the rear ones?

I have also heard may be bad alternator or voltage regulator. Worth a try right?

I don't want to give up on this XC70 because I really love it, almost as much as my S80. We had the electric throttle issue before, and the dealer replaced it under warranty and we feel luck.

Keep the ideas coming if anyone else would like to charm in. I will start tackling it soon.

Open the rear hatch. Look left....see the door?....open in....bunch of relays there.

Look for signs of water.

Jim

John@CdnRockies
03-13-2011, 09:38 AM
Please don't assume the battery is OK. Have it tested as this is your least costly alternative. Our real-life experience this past year with our Jeep closely resembles your post. Strange electronic gremlins (air conditioning would conk out, some of the windows would not work, some lights would intermittently work etc) which had me thinking we should just dump the vehicle. We took it to the dealership who diagnosed the battery (it had been replaced less than a year earlier), and now all is well.

macplee
03-14-2011, 05:13 PM
inactive account and deleted message