PDA

View Full Version : Multiple CD extraction FTW!

bronson75
03-09-2011, 12:38 PM
My wife has a '99 XC, with the factory double-din, single disc head unit (not sure of the model number, the car isn't here).
Since we got the car, the 'CD in' light has been lit, when the eject button is pressed, there is ticking from the unit, but nothing came out, and when CD is selected to play a CD, an error message shows up, the PO had told us that it had been that way since he got the car.
A few weeks ago I was putzing in her car, and decided to pull the radio to have a look. Removed the top, and I saw there WAS a CD in it, tried ejecting it (it was still powered up), I saw the whirlits and whatsits moving about, but the CD stayed put.
I got a couple of tools, and gingerly started prying the CD out.
Turns out there were 3 CDs in it, a full collection of Disney songs! I got them out, the CD player works perfectly, AND the kids got some new music to listen too.

My guess is that someone either thought it was an in-dash changer and kept cramming CDs in, or a kid was playing and stuck them in.

BEJinFBK
03-09-2011, 01:28 PM
Glad to hear a happy ending ( Very Disney! [cool2] ) .
Moral of the story?
Never be afraid to open something up and have a look! [thumbup]

bronson75
03-09-2011, 01:35 PM
Yep, I had already resigned myself to replacing the radio before the summer road trip season, so I really didn't have a lot to lose.
Although I DID drop a screw into the radio (the screws securing the top to the case are REALLY SMALL), it was a b*tch to get out, but I managed.

ylstaffer
03-09-2011, 02:39 PM
Haha right on bronson that is great news indeed! And I have also dropped some of those teeny tiny screws in various locations including inside the radio and you're correct- it's a bee-hatch to get them out. But glad to hear all is well and I'm rather impressed that anyone could actually get three CDs in one of those players at once. Nice diagnostic work!