PDA

View Full Version : eibach two different part number?

j gonzalez
03-07-2011, 08:32 PM
Ok so I was looking further into suspension upgrades searching previous post.

Noticed some conflicting info

Eibach has two spring kits 8428.140 and 8430.140

Now Ipd has the 8428 and stated it is not for xc. The 8430 is harder to find but appears to be listed for 03-07.

Bit confusing as it appears some people have installed 8428.

Also got and email from TME stated that their lowering springs along with v70awd shock is good for 3 inch drop! However I doubt I could align the car after that!! The also noted they dont carry a xc70 kit.

I thought I saw a heico kit somewhere but called heico and they no longer carry spring kit for older xc70.

xc70 are a dime a dozen in my area cant believe so few options for uprated suspension.

cgay1
04-06-2011, 04:44 AM
Did you ever get an answer to the correct part number for the XC70? I have a 2002 XC70 and would like to upgrade springs, wondering which number is correct.

Thanks,
-Chris

billr99
04-06-2011, 11:46 AM
#8428.140 is what I used on my '02 XC and it was the one listed as correct in the Eibach catalog at the time. I notice that now the #8430 kit is what is listed but with the same drop specified. The drop ended up on mine being about 25mm front and close to 40mm at the back so that the car sat dead level unloaded. I put a 1/2 in spacer in the rear to get a bit of rake back into the unloaded stance so that the car now sits about level with a normal load. I wonder if the difference in part number reflects a different rate to address the higher weight of the newer XCs or the lack of rake on the 8428 kit?

Cheers,

Bill

cgay1
04-07-2011, 09:52 AM
Hi Bill,

I was wondering the same thing "a different rate to address the higher weight of the newer XCs". How much more does the 2003 weigh versus a 2002? Interesting that the new part number does not include my model year (2002), making me think the 8428.140 that you used is a better choice for me. Thank you for your input.

-Chris

Weight of 2002 is 3699 and 2003 is 3827 (source, Kelly blue book).

cgay1
04-27-2011, 04:08 AM
I contacted IPD and asked them about the 8428, since they sell them, and all they could say is that this spring set is not recommended for my car by the manufacturer (IPD does not sell the 8430).

Then I called Eibach about the two part numbers. All they could tell me is that both part numbers have been discontinued. While the support person was looking up the information on the 8430 he said something about it being German made, so he did not have the information readily available. I was hoping to get more information about the differences, such as spring rate, etc.

I have found both part numbers available on eBay new for $223 + $39 shipping. I am still on fence as to which one to order. Starting to lean toward the 8430 just because it is for a heavier model year and may solve the rake issue.

I have already ordered a set of Sachs struts and shocks from FCP, since that seems to be the only choice.

Any opinions?

Thanks,
-Chris

billr99
04-27-2011, 06:08 AM
I contacted IPD and asked them about the 8428, since they sell them, and all they could say is that this spring set is not recommended for my car by the manufacturer (IPD does not sell the 8430).

Then I called Eibach about the two part numbers. All they could tell me is that both part numbers have been discontinued. While the support person was looking up the information on the 8430 he said something about it being German made, so he did not have the information readily available. I was hoping to get more information about the differences, such as spring rate, etc.

I have found both part numbers available on eBay new for $223 + $39 shipping. I am still on fence as to which one to order. Starting to lean toward the 8430 just because it is for a heavier model year and may solve the rake issue.

I have already ordered a set of Sachs struts and shocks from FCP, since that seems to be the only choice.

Any opinions?

Thanks,
-Chris

Chris:

I merely repeat what I have said before. The 8428 spring set and Sachs struts/shocks combination has worked very well for me with the only "issue" in that I needed a bit of rear lift to get the rake I wanted to have. Not a big deal and I've run this setup now for nearly 60K kms. In that 60K, I have traveled on the crap roads that we have around here, the billard table roads of New Brunswick, a trip to PA and back last summer and another to Destin and back in November. The car has handled both no-load and full-up loads with equal aplomb (as they say). In other words, I have been please with the set-up (and BTW, my wife hasn't said a word like she did when I drop our Audi by 2 in. or with the stock ride in our 850R).

Good luck,

Bill

cgay1
04-30-2011, 12:36 PM
Thanks again Bill!

I ordered the 8430.140 set this morning off eBay for $263 shipped. I will report back my results once installed.

My theory being Eibach would not have created a second set of springs for the same model years if they were not correcting a rake issue or weight allocation. Hopefully the later model springs will be as good if not better than the 8428's that Bill installed.

UPDATE: The 8430's were out of stock, so I got the 8428 just like Bill installed.. ;-) I am excited to get started on the project!

Thanks again,
-Chris

cgay1
06-16-2011, 05:38 AM
I installed the 8428's about a month ago with the stock Sachs shocks! my results are similar to Bill's -- Front drop 30mm (~1.25") rear drop 50mm (~2") with full tank of gas. I have ordered some spring spacers for the rear to give a little lift. The ride is definitely stiffer and the the body roll is dramatically improved. Overall happy with the upgrade... ;-)

I also replaced the ball joints, sway bar end-links, control bushings, etc. at the same time. but I think the springs made the biggest difference. I kept the stock springs just in case I wanted to switch back.

Thanks all!