PDA

View Full Version : Electrical short/drain

robo
03-07-2011, 05:17 PM
Need some advice. My 01 XC seems to have a short of some type. With the car turned off and key removed, I am seeing about 5 amp draw on the battery. I have determined it is not in the main line going from the rear of the car to the front junction, or the large wire going from the front junction to the altenator(?). I have preceded to pull every fuse and relay out of the panel in the engine compartment that is tied into the main line coming from the back, and the short is still there. Also disconnected the wire harness plug in the panel but that didn't do it either. Not sure where to go from here, any insight would be appreciated.

BTW, there was another wires (beside the main line to the front) on the battery connector that I eliminated as the culprit as well.

ElVee
04-01-2011, 11:25 AM
My '98 XC with 173K miles has a similar problem. I bought this car as a station car in July of 2007. Never had any battery issues until September 2009, when it died. I went to Sears and bought a new battery.

In March of 2010, I went on vacation and left the car home for 8 days. When I came home, it was dead. After a jump start and a nice long drive, it charged up enough that it would start as long as I used it often. If left over a long weekend, it would barely turn over. I got through the summer okay, but as the cold set in, it would not even last a weekend. Took the car back to Sears and they said the battery and alternator were fine. They suggested something was draining the battery but could not tell me what.

Is this a known issue with these cars?

ElVee
11-24-2012, 03:04 PM
Bumping this.

Astro14
11-24-2012, 03:49 PM
Not a known issue. I park mine for a week at a time quite often. Never had a problem, but I have a 5 year old OEM battery... And I would go OE on the battery for this...

Regardless, 5 amps is HUGE...that's like all your brake lights at once...

JRL
11-24-2012, 03:56 PM
Not an issue
These cars can go 3 months without starting then start right up (if your battery is in good shape)