PDA

View Full Version : Ticking noise from front end

edmguy
02-28-2011, 05:27 PM
I'm getting this ticking noise from the front end of my 2004 T6, LHD, 190000km with full dealer history. Best way to describe.... sounds like the noise that a bicycle would make if the spokes had a piece of metal touching when they were going around (If that makes sense!)

It only does it when it really cold outside.. its currently -22c here in canada... it wont make the noise if its any warmer than -8c.

It only makes the noise when the car is moving.. and will go away once the temp reaches half way. Putting the car in neutral and revving the engine wont reproduce the noise.

I've had the timing belt, tensioners, water pump, the aux drive belt, engine mounts replaced not more than a month ago. ( At the time dealer was unable to get it to do the same thing as the temp was above 0c)

The engine oil and filter have been changed.. no unusual noises from the gearbox and the gearbox oil is at the right level and a nice clear reddish colour!

Dealer have checked over the vehicle.. apart from it being a T6 they say nothing wrong with it!

edmguy
03-04-2011, 01:42 PM
I left the car running this morning and let it get to operating temperature before driving off.. no noises at all !

bulldog80
03-13-2011, 04:25 PM
Mine was the drivers side CV axle. Replaced it and never had it come back.

edmguy
03-18-2011, 07:05 PM
I'll give that a go.. don't want it going completely in the middle of no where... its been about -5c here last week or so haven't heard the sound again!