PDA

View Full Version : Replacement Keys for 2002 V70XC

tpxc
02-25-2011, 07:42 PM
Hi,

I'm sure this has been asked before but the search function didn't show anything and google was only a little bit better.

I have a 2002 V70XC. It was stolen along with all of the keys. I now have the car back but no keys.

Is it possible to get replacement keys based on the VIN or do I need to install a new ignition switch and new door locks, etc?

Is it possible to get replacement wireless fobs based on the VIN or can I purchase new fobs with a security code which is uploaded to the car via a dealer?

Is it possible to get replacement used wireless fobs and use something like the five click trick I saw mentioned on this site to make them work with the car or does that only work for earlier years?

Is there anyway to open the doors without a key? Popping the lock from the outside doesn't seem possible.

Thanks in advance for any advice anyone can offer - I am weighing my options and would like to know exactly where I stand before approaching the only dealer in town and subjecting myself to their huge charges.

Regards,

Tim

JRL
02-25-2011, 08:33 PM
You can get the same keys from your dealer and no you need all new keys, remotes,software and programming (labor)
If you need/want to change your locks it will cost you over $1000!
(from what I've heard)
Who the hell steals an XC anyway?:confused:

tpxc
02-25-2011, 10:12 PM
Thanks for the reply. So should the dealer just have keys which can be cut and programmed with the right code based on the VIN or is it a special order from Sweden? (just joking - sort of - wouldn't put it past them). I will phone them on Monday to confirm but as I said I'd like to know where I stand so I don't get taken for too much of a ride.

Any idea of the cost?

>Who the hell steals an XC anyway?

Well if I knew that I'd spend the money its going to cost me to get new keys on having someone go and persuade them to return the keys they stole along with all the other stuff they stole from the house where it was parked - then of course I'd ask the police to go have a chat with them as well.

The whole matter is an entirely long and involved story - too long in fact. I am doing this from a distance which makes it real fun. :mad:[mad2]

billr99
02-26-2011, 05:37 AM
Thanks for the reply. So should the dealer just have keys which can be cut and programmed with the right code based on the VIN or is it a special order from Sweden? (just joking - sort of - wouldn't put it past them). I will phone them on Monday to confirm but as I said I'd like to know where I stand so I don't get taken for too much of a ride.

Any idea of the cost?

>Who the hell steals an XC anyway?

Well if I knew that I'd spend the money its going to cost me to get new keys on having someone go and persuade them to return the keys they stole along with all the other stuff they stole from the house where it was parked - then of course I'd ask the police to go have a chat with them as well.

The whole matter is an entirely long and involved story - too long in fact. I am doing this from a distance which makes it real fun. :mad:[mad2]

Check with your insurance. They may cover the cost of key/fob replacement since it is related to the theft which, I presume, would be a loss covered under your policy.

Good luck,

Bill

landlord646
02-26-2011, 10:10 AM
Insurance company should cover the cost of replacing the keys.

Am confused as to why all keys are gone - sounds like an inside job!:D

jda2000
02-26-2011, 10:32 AM
the dealer can cut and program the replacement keys/remote in house with the VIN.

Price should be about $250 per key/remote(US prices)

Astro14
02-26-2011, 01:19 PM
Insurance company should cover the cost of replacing the keys.

Am confused as to why all keys are gone - sounds like an inside job!:D

Yeah...like an angry girlfriend or bitter ex wife...like he said...a long and involved story...

tpxc
02-27-2011, 10:39 PM
Yeah...like an angry girlfriend or bitter ex wife...like he said...a long and involved story...

Nothing so intriguing. I sold the car, canceled the insurance, signed the papers, flew overseas and gave it to a friend for delivery. He hit a fence on the way to deliver it. I got it fixed. The engine played up. I got it fixed. He parked it outside his place, someone broke in at 3AM took the keys and stole it and a whole lot of other stuff - and of course he doesn't have insurance. The sale seems to be cursed, I'm not too happy. Yeah it sounds like an inside job but it isn't. The police report is real. And he has nothing to gain by this.

New key and fob will only cost $250 + $170 labor + $70 towing. There is only one place here that can do it - its 800kms to the next big city - and there is a two week wait as their service dept is fully booked. Feels real good to be gouged. [cussing]

Astro14
02-27-2011, 11:31 PM
ouch....

jdp6000
03-02-2011, 07:36 AM
Nothing so intriguing. I sold the car, canceled the insurance, signed the papers, flew overseas and gave it to a friend for delivery. He hit a fence on the way to deliver it. I got it fixed. The engine played up. I got it fixed. He parked it outside his place, someone broke in at 3AM took the keys and stole it and a whole lot of other stuff - and of course he doesn't have insurance. The sale seems to be cursed, I'm not too happy. Yeah it sounds like an inside job but it isn't. The police report is real. And he has nothing to gain by this.

New key and fob will only cost $250 + $170 labor + $70 towing. There is only one place here that can do it - its 800kms to the next big city - and there is a two week wait as their service dept is fully booked. Feels real good to be gouged. [cussing]

I just had a key cut. I called into the dealer and they did it for me but they knew me. Don't know if they will do it for you over the phone. $80 just for the key. When it was ready I took the car to the dealer and had the key programmed another $80.

Long and short of it. They can cut you a key but it will not start the car until its programmed. Unfortunately you may be into a bit more money because you need at least one working key to program the new key....so not sure exactly what you will need.

My father inlaw locked his key in the car a will back and called a towing service. A tow truck driver can get into your car in about 5 minutes.

Jim

tpxc
03-02-2011, 05:42 PM
My father inlaw locked his key in the car a will back and called a towing service. A tow truck driver can get into your car in about 5 minutes.
Jim

Actually the local road service guys cannot open the locked car - a 2002 V70XC. Is there a trick to it? I guess I will phone around and see whats possible. But these guys usually can open any car.

It seems to be theft proof - unless of course the keys are stolen first.

jdp6000
03-02-2011, 08:35 PM
Actually the local road service guys cannot open the locked car - a 2002 V70XC. Is there a trick to it? I guess I will phone around and see whats possible. But these guys usually can open any car.

It seems to be theft proof - unless of course the keys are stolen first.

He had it opened. They went through the passenger door with a jimmy. Only othe way to do it is by tapping a bunch of wedges between the door frame and the car and creating an opening wide enough to get at the power lock button with something but this will only work if your battery is still power up.

I have had one of these doors apart. The shaft from the door lock button pretty has a straight run to the door lock module. I suspect this is were they grap it.

Or you can call the dealer and ask them to cut you a key and Fedex it. That will get you in but won't get the car started.

Jim