PDA

View Full Version : Quick tire change question...

Dubhead
02-22-2011, 10:13 PM
Folks,
I just got a set of 4 Yokohama Ice Guard tires (http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/tires/yokohama/product/byName.do?tmn=Ice+Guard+IG20&typ=Passenger%2FPerformance) which I would like to put on my vehicle this weekend. I have been running Nokian WR G2 tires and they have gotten about 15,500 miles on them and are at 3/32" tread! I run them all year though so the soft rubber wore quickly in the spring and summer. At any rate, these tires are sized at 235/60R16 (Nokians) and the new Yokohama's are at 195/65R15. As long as I am replacing them all at the same time I shouldn't have any problem with this right? There is some discrepancy overall in the revolutions per mile which would likely throw the speedo off but will there be any damage to my drivetrain with these size tires? Thanks for any suggestions. Here is a tire size comparison:

Specification | Sidewall | Radius | Diameter | Circumference | Revs/Mile | Difference
195/65-15 | 5.0in | 12.5in | 25.0in | 78.5in | 807 | 0.0%
235/60-16 | 5.6in | 13.6in | 27.1in | 85.1in | 744 | 8.5%

Thanks!
Dubhead [cool2]

haoz129
02-22-2011, 10:40 PM
STOP!

Dubhead,

Hope you know what you are doing.

Assuming these are for XC70.

First, the rim size is different. You won't be able put 15" tire on your 16" rim.
Second, the load capability is far less than OE specification. This is very dangerous. Make sure you don't go lower then OE on load index, for XC70, it's 98 allow 750kg/tire.
Third, you are going much narrower tread width than before for which you will get less grip and less brake power. Be very careful to go that much narrower. I would think this will be used only as temp & emergency.

Also as you mentioned speedo will off too much.

Dubhead
02-22-2011, 10:58 PM
Yes...this is a temporary installation during really heavy snow and then remove back to the Nokians. Not intending to do very long distances with them on (e.g. less than 80 miles). These have wheels already so not intending to mount to existing wheels. These came from a 1999 V70 XC. Barely ever used. I would not be using these with a fully loaded vehicle either. At the most, 3 people with around 80 pounds of gear. Would that be too much for these tires? The Yokohama chart is HERE (http://www.yokohamatire.com/tires/spec.aspx?tire=iceGUARD%20iG20). I do realize the narrower size compromises a bit of braking power and grip. Does anyone think this will trash the drivetrain? If this all sounds too crazy then let me know, I have a buddy with a '99 that might be able to use them.

To clarify...I am in a 2001 V70 XC.

haoz129
02-22-2011, 11:39 PM
Drivetrain won't be an issue. But safty is my concern.

Just checked, base on load index, they are 82% of OE load. Even spare is not that weak.

I won't do that especially with others on board.

BTW, anyway you are going to need new tires soon, why not shopping now.

MacNoob
02-23-2011, 07:59 AM
15,000 miles on WR G2?? I think you probably have an alignment problem too. Those are an all-season tire (that is still excellent in winter) and shouldn't wear quickly in the summer unless you are driving very aggressively. I used them on my Saab (as winter tires!) and they wore very well - they have a 50-60k mile treadwear warranty here in Canada.

Dubhead
02-23-2011, 08:44 AM
Yes, I was disappointed by the life on the WR G2's. Alignment is fine and I would classify myself as a rather mild mannered driver who enjoys curves every once and again. No tread warranty in the states that I am aware of, so $1K for two years use is what I get.

Astro14
02-23-2011, 09:47 AM
If you were disappointed in the WR G2s tread life then you're going to really be disappointed in a set of tires that is very undersized, reducing ground clearance in the snow as well as causing rapid wear and increased likelihood of failure or accident...

Your Nokian experience is unusual, and probably due to misalignment...when was the last time it was on the rack? You can be way off and have no "pull" or other obvious symptoms... My WR G2s show no wear (with a tread depth gauge) afer 6K miles...I just checked at their first rotation...and you do rotate them...right? OBTW, mine cost about $600 including shipping, mounting and balancing...

Can't you find an end of year deal with Tire Rack or your local retailer that includes mounted tires and wheels? Here's 4 Pirellis for $316 on Tire Rack: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Pirelli&tireModel=Winter+Carving+Edge&partnum=165TR6WCE&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Volvo&autoYear=2002&autoModel=V70%20XC&autoModClar=

Ice Guards are great in the snow and if these Yokos are all the same size, you won't hurt the AWD drivetrain, but they are too small for the load and there is no way I would put those tires on my XC.

Period.

bbbuzzy
02-23-2011, 11:59 AM
I agree with the previous posters concerns for load/safety, etc. Just adding my 2 cents on the WRG2 wear. I have an '05 XC70 with 59K miles and I put on WRG2's around 43K miles. I have minimal wear (not measured recently) and rotated them once after about 10K after mounting. Definitely worth checking the alignment, those tires shouldn't have worn that quickly based on your driving style.