PDA

View Full Version : Key will not turn in door lock

StuckInTahoe
02-19-2011, 08:54 PM
I borrowed our neighbors 2001 XC to drive to Tahoe. Great car, I love it. I used the key to open the door this morning to unlock the car. (i have no remote, just the key) Everything worked fine. We then drove the car to Tahoe and now I want to lock the car. However the key will not turn in the door. It doesn't feel stiff it feels completely blocked and any attempt to turn it either way will not work. I had someone get in the car and lock the doors but couldn't open the door from the outside. The alarm went on but was able to start the car and turn it off. I've tried opening and closing all the doors but still cannot turn key.

Please help with your ideas so I can go skiing tomorrow!

haoz129
02-20-2011, 11:02 PM
Seems you can start the engine without problem. That means there isn't anything wrong with the key.

So I suspect the door lock has issue. If it is very cold out there maybe the lock is freezed. Could you pour hot water around the door lock and try again.

Seems it's a common lock issue.

By the way, don't use the Lock Door Button on the inside door panel. It will lock all the doors then you won't be able get in again especially when your key is not working.

Japedo
02-21-2011, 08:24 AM
I borrowed our neighbors 2001 XC to drive to Tahoe. Great car, I love it. I used the key to open the door this morning to unlock the car. (i have no remote, just the key) Everything worked fine. We then drove the car to Tahoe and now I want to lock the car. However the key will not turn in the door. It doesn't feel stiff it feels completely blocked and any attempt to turn it either way will not work. I had someone get in the car and lock the doors but couldn't open the door from the outside. The alarm went on but was able to start the car and turn it off. I've tried opening and closing all the doors but still cannot turn key.

Please help with your ideas so I can go skiing tomorrow!

It's frozen, happens to me all the time. :( Get some lock de icer, comes in a nasal spray looking bottle and is injected in the key hole.

Last time I just heated the key a couple times with a lighter and inserted it in the key hole and repeated untill it worked.