PDA

View Full Version : Lets talk extended warranties (04/05)

mntbikr15
02-03-2011, 05:39 PM
I am in the process of searching for a used 90. Our price range means we will be looking at MY04-05's mostly. With mileage ranging from 70-100k.

I plan to have the vehicle for the next 4 years at least. Possibly beyond. However historically I have never owned a vehicle beyond 3 years. I buy them all thinking I will keep them for a long time and somehow life always changes.

I am trying to make sense of the mess that is extended warranties.

Some people say they aren't worth the money and other people won't buy a car without them.

Obviously it depends which company you go with but my general questions are these

-In my shoes would you pay for one?
-If yes would you be looking at more of a top end plan for everything or a lower end plan that covers less.
-Any recommendations on companies to look at and ones to stay away?

Any advice would be extremely appreciated as I am very lost in this area.

Thanks,
Evan

mntbikr15
02-03-2011, 05:40 PM
Also since it probably matters we are only considering the 2.5T engine for various reasons.

The vehicle will probably be driven somewhere in the range of 15-20k miles a year.

winnipegtibook
02-03-2011, 06:40 PM
First, after-market warranties (i.e. third party, NOT Volvo) are not worth the paper their printed on. I believe there was a heated thread many moons ago on the forum, do a search and you should be able to find it.

Second, you will be hard pressed to find a 04-05 with a volvo warranty.

Thirdly, buy a clean second hand xc90 (2.5t is my preference, i have the engine in a 90 and v70) from a reputable volvo reseller and you should be fine. JRL would be your guy. Send him an email, he can find you one for the best value AND it will be as clean as possible. Search the classifieds and it will give you an idea of how meticulous he is with his resales.

mntbikr15
02-03-2011, 07:05 PM
Yea I meant aftermarket warranties.

I've spent a bunch of time on swedespeed since this post and had kinda come to the thought to not bother.

I wasn't able to find many big threads here about it but for some reason the advanced search is not working for me. This is making searching here rather difficult.

I've actually been talking with JRL a lot today and am excited about working with him.

Thanks

jimfitton
02-15-2011, 12:01 AM
We just bought an 04 XC90 from a Volvo Main Dealer, 2.5 Exec 99k miles, 1 owner.
We paid 13,750 with 2 years Volvo Warranty.
They are out there, it might take a few weeks to find though.[happy]

OscarPJr
03-20-2011, 05:50 PM
We just bought an 04 XC90 from a Volvo Main Dealer, 2.5 Exec 99k miles, 1 owner.
We paid 13,750 with 2 years Volvo Warranty.
They are out there, it might take a few weeks to find though.[happy]

Jim, as an aspiring future XC90 owner, let me tell you that it's great to read that someone actually found a good deal with a 2 year warrany. If you don't mind me asking, was there some negotiating to be done before they gave you that warranty or was the vehicle advertised that way already?

I've been dragging the water for a good deal in my area but I haven't found much. Most of the decent deals are in the East. I think I may end up going into my Volvo dealer and asking them to look for one and bring it in for me.