PDA

View Full Version : The controversial oil change...again

Joy Driver
10-21-2002, 08:56 AM
I bought a new 02 dealers car two weeks ago with 2700 miles on it. I've spent hours reading previous posts. It appears the dealer only cleaned my car prior to selling to me, no oil change.
I'm still undecided on when to change the oil, so many conflicting posts... 7500, 3000... Dealer told me to change at 3750 intervals, but never mentioned when to do first change.
I'm pretty much decided on using synthetic oil. I have not looked into how much the dealer charges for oil changes, I may get rammed on this topic, but would any of you trust Jiffy Lube etc... to change your oil, using their synthetic oil?

wiz
10-21-2002, 09:07 AM
First of all, Joy Driver: Welcome to the forum! http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Second, no-one is going to flame you here for asking a good question! http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Third, the simple answer to your question is no, I would not trust a car in it's break-in period to Jiffy Lube.

If you've read the prior posts then you know where we all stand on the subject - there are as many opinions as members of the forum - and no simple answer.

If you must got to Jiffy Lube, bring your oil of choice and a Volvo filter... http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/huh2.gif

gregj
10-21-2002, 11:39 AM
Welcome Joy Driver!  In an earlier post I threw out a similar question, I could not locate the oil filter.  I echo Wiz comment, don't be afraid to ask any question.  This group is very helpful.

Thanks to fellow XCers, changing the oil yourself is very easy if you are so inclined.  I personally don't trust anyone with my vehicles.  With the complexity of today's cars of course I bring them in periodically for major maintenance but inevitably I get the car back with some greasy hand print in the interior or a fine scratch on the fender.

If you want to change the oil yourself, put the front wheels up on car ramps.  Unbolt the plastic shroud under the engine (approx 8 bolts).  This will expose the filter cartridge (under the front bumper, passenger side) and the drain plug.

I changed my initial oil at 4,500 mi, I asked the dealer and he said to go 7,500 but I could not let a break in oil change go that long.  I did switch to synthetic (a first for me) and will probably do my changes every 7,500 mi.  I also recommend a Volvo OEM filter.

Good Luck,
Greg.

Supertoyz
10-21-2002, 12:03 PM
As everybody previous has stated these posts are just our individual opinions - Here's mine.

I try to change the oil on my new vehicles at about 1000 miles initially (although the Volvo is at 2,100 and I have not changed it yet) and about 3,000 - 3,500 mile intervals after that.  I use only Mobil 1 synthetic and any major filter manufacturers filter....Usually Wix.  I'm not stuck on OEM filters, I know they don't make them themselves and Wix is one of the largest filter manufacturers in the world.  I personally wouldn't let Jiffy Lube or the likes check the air in my tires not to mention change my oil.  Although, thousands of people use them everyday.  As I've said in earlier posts I'm one to do it myself and make sure it's done right.  I've seen too many mechanics cut corners and screw up......even in our own shop.  It may take me twice as long but I know it's done right.

1Lieutenant
10-21-2002, 04:10 PM
Everybody has their own opinion.... and I suspect they all work!  You really can't tell how well your oil change interval works unless you drive MANY miles.  I have seen engines last over 370K with conventional oil changes at 3.5K miles. The engine never failed or used oil.  The car died in a flood.

I use synthetic so that I can comfortably extend the oil change interval (never past 7.5K) and not feel guilty.  I also believe that the main benefit of synthetic is less wear and tear on other components.  The car starts easier in the winter, thus less drain on the battery and less time for the alternator to be charging the battery.  The end result SHOULD be a battery and alternator that last longer. Same goes for the starter, etc.

I'm not sure I keep a car long enough to reap the benefits, but I sure help out the next guy.

Steve

wiz
10-21-2002, 08:41 PM
I would agree with the above posts about using a synthetic oil. There are many decent brands, the purists seem to like AMSOIL, but it's very difficult to get (mostly mail order), VERY expensive, and interestingly enough, has failed one or two tests that others have passed.

As suggested above, Mobil1 is also very good, is a true synthetic (despite what you may read elsewhere), and is available at your local auto store. You can also get it in 5 quart jugs at excellent prices in places like Wal-Mart.

If you want to get the Volvo oil filter for the V70XC, the p/n is 1275810.

Art
10-21-2002, 10:55 PM
I switched over to synth at the last service interval for all of the same reasons. Since synthetics are specifically designed to last longer than conventional oils, wouldn't changing it every 3000 miles or so seem like a waste of money? http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/confused.gif

I'll probably stick to Volvo's recommended service interval at every 12,000 km.

As far as those quick lube places are concerned, I've only used them on a couple of occasions in the past out of necessity and definitely won't be doing the same for the XC. I recall during a previous visit to one, the techs had a hard time removing the filter cartridge. When I arrived home, I noticed a small pool of oil on the garage floor. Never have used them since.

Just my thoughts. http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

hansn
10-21-2002, 11:24 PM
HI

I did my first oil change at 10 000 km, on my sellers recommendations.
Next oil change at 20 000 km.

In Sweden the service interval is every 20 000 km

Good Luck with the car

Supertoyz
10-22-2002, 06:01 AM
Synthetic oil change intervals:

I'd be surprised if you could find any synthetic oil manufacturer to claim that you can extend your oil change intervals by using their products. As a general rule Synthetics don't break down as quickly as conventional oils but they still become contaminated with combustion byproducts just as quickly. For this reason all of the literature I have read about synthetic oils....most of it from manufacturers makes it a point to NOT claim extended oil change intervals as a benefit of synthetic oils. That's not to say that using the same oil in a vehicle for 7,500 or even 15,000 miles will cause any problems because it likely will not. BMW now has 15,000 mile oil change intervals! I like to change my oil as close to 3,000 miles as possible just becasue I know it's better....probably not neccessary, but it is better. Unfortunatly I've never kept a vehicle long enough to see the benefits of my anal ways....I don't think I've ever owned a car past 65-70,000 miles.

1Lieutenant
10-22-2002, 07:09 AM
For a good explanation of the rationale for extended oil change intervals go to amsoil.com or redlineoil.com.  Combustion byproducts are acidic and over time will cause the oil to lose its lubricating properties.  The ability of an oil to neutralize these byproducts is called the total base number (TBN).  An oil with a higher TBN will stay "fresher" longer.  Many of the synthetic oils (not all) have a much higher TBN and will provide superior engine protection over an extended drain interval. Please accept that this is a simplistic explanation.  Many people have written MANY pages better describing this.

My ONLY experience over a long period of time with synthetic oil was with  my 1984 BMW 318i.  I used Mobil1 5w-30 synthetic with 7.5K mile drain intervals.  Approx 50:50 City:Highway.  At 179K (when I sold it) it burned only very little oil (1Qt/3.7K miles) and compression was within factory limits of a new vehicle.

I suggest you read everything you can and make your own decision.  Amsoil DOES stress extended drain intervals.

Steve

wiz
10-22-2002, 07:48 AM
Steve is right, AMSOIL definitely makes the extended drain period a "feature". Just stick to a genuine synthetic, some oils are blends and some claim to be a true syn but are not (I believe Castrol falls into this category).

Personally, I'm going to use Mobil1, change at the recommended interval of 7.5K miles, and probably change the filter at each half interval.

Supertoyz
10-22-2002, 01:53 PM
I read Amsoils website and they do indeed claim longer oil change intervals. A very risky thing to do....not that it would ever happen but lets say somebody had a warranty issue that could in some way be related to oil. If the vehicle manufacturer found out that you had exceeded the recommended oil change interval because "Amsoil said I could" they would likely tell you to have Amsoil take care of your problem. We had a similiar situation here a few years ago.....(sidebar) customer just dropped off his boat for winterization....please don't change the engine oil I'm using special oil that's not ready to be changed yet, you know that Amsoil stuff, I'm supposed to be able to get another 50 hours out of it. So he's leaving dirty engine oil in his engine for the winter :-)....it's funny how things work. Anyway back to the story. Customer has a new Mercruiser 502 Magnum engine, brings it back a few weeks later because it won't idle well and has no power. We check it over and one of the spark plug electrodes has melted off and that piston has low compression. Oddly enough the engine now has splitfire spark plugs in it not the factory installed NGK's. When Mercruiser found out they denied his warranty because of the spark plugs he used. Customer claimed that Splitfire showed them as a direct cross reference for the NGK's....Mercury told him to have Splitfire cover his warranty then, ended up costing him about $6500 in engine repairs. Bottom line is stick to the manufacturers recommended service intervals to cover your ass. I myself change it much earlier to make myself feel good. As I stated earlier my BMW has 15,000 intevals but I can't bear to let it go anywhere near that long. I read Mobil 1's website as well and although they claim that the oil will surpass OEM's change intervals they state that the oil change intervals should still be followed. And I'd have to disagree with Art's statement that synthetics are specifically engineered to last longer...they are engineered to perform better not necessarily last longer. They won't break down as quickly because the molecular strands are longer, more consistant and don't shear as easily but that still has no effect on metal residue from engine wear, acids produced by the combustion cycle, condensation, thinning from fuel contamination etc. They may have additives to help neutralize combustion acids but these additives can be added to any oils base stock regardless of it's conventional or synthetic origins. Bottom line is I believe you should change your oil at the OEM's recommended intervals regardless of the oil you use. I think Volvo and most synthetic manufactureres would agree with this. I for one do better than the OEM recommendations but I run my vehicles very hard and give them the best of care. How many of you detail the underside of your cars :-)

Hiro's XC
10-25-2002, 08:56 PM
I changed the filter at 3,000 miles. I am going to run to 5,000 and swap out, (4600 currently) I'm going to run Delvac1 (Mobil diesel oil) It's 5w40 and full synthetic with some extra additives for acids, soot, and general particulate matter. The stuff is hard to find though. Regular mobil one or amsoil should suffice though.

jason

trzesnk
10-30-2002, 03:42 PM
My Volvo V70 XC car manual and my service book says: First service, with the oil change at 20'000 km. I am going to stick to that. My dealer recommends 10'000 km. Why should my dealer know it better then Volvo engineers? I believe that "he knows it better" because he has an obvious financial advantage from frequent oil changes...

Supertoyz
10-31-2002, 06:43 AM
Volvo and your dealer both have a financial incentive to recommend fewer oil changes not more.....it all depends how you look at it.  Pay me now or pay me more later :-)

pico de luuks
10-31-2002, 06:55 AM
Last night I went through my owner's manual and service warranty booklets. Yes I have two of the latter and they're different: Service interval (and oil change) every 15000km or 20000km depending on which one I  use. http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif Great, now what.
The funny thing is, I'll drive less than that a year anyway, so it doesn't really matter. I will use full synthetic as recommended. http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sly.gif

wiz
10-31-2002, 07:16 AM
This doesn't make sense. Here we have trzesnk and pico saying the advice from Volvo is to change the oil every 20000km. (with variations).

In Canada/US the advice is to change at 12000km./7500mi. Same car - vastly different oil change intervals? I don't think so! http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/confused.gif

The 12000km./7500mi. interval looks right, especially with syn oil. 20000km. does not look right especially on the first service... http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/huh2.gif