PDA

View Full Version : Why do calipers seize?

8pack
01-28-2011, 05:00 AM
Can I reuse the caliper pins when I put a new one on?

JRL
01-28-2011, 05:40 AM
Depends, each is different.
Why do they seize? Most of the time RUST is the problem

8pack
01-28-2011, 06:24 AM
I should have been more specific. Is it usually the Piston that seizes (due to rust as you point out) or the caliper pins rust and the caliper can't slide?

If the pins are rusty, can they be sanded with 220 grit wet dry to remove the surface rust and reinstall?

I am not trying to be cheap, just don't have spare set and need to get the caliper changed out. If i can work with the pins I have for now I will swap them out later as that is a 10 min job...

Thanks

JRL
01-28-2011, 07:41 AM
The slider/bracket can also go bad

instarx
01-30-2011, 04:37 AM
I'm not sure what you mean by "Can I reuse the caliper pins when I put a new one on?" My remaned caliper came with both the piston part and the bracket part as a set. If you are going to replace one, you should replace both. I'm not even sure you could buy just the piston half of the caliper.

My piston was sticking because the rubber seal had not been installed correctly and it had rusted. The bracket part was still sliding although because of surface corrosion it was not exactly smooth. It probably could have been sanded to work better, but a new one came with the assembly.