PDA

View Full Version : 00 XC rear coil springs

pjg01930
01-27-2011, 03:46 PM
Can anyone give me an idea how difficult it is to replace the rear springs on a 2000 XC w/ Nivomats? Any knowledge would be a great help. Thanks.

cattlecar
01-27-2011, 09:56 PM
There is a great number of steps but since the Nivomats do a great deal of the support the coil springs are weak ones. The lower control arm has to be disconnected from the lower control arm. The stabilizer bar link has to be disconnected. The Nivomat has to be removed. The upper shock mount requires the cargo area be partially removed for access to the upper mount.
Are you planning on changing springs because the car is low in the back?

pjg01930
01-28-2011, 08:30 AM
Thanks cattlecar. I had car looked at by local Volvo indy, and he said needed new shocks and springs in the rear. He wanted dealer price ($361 each) for the Nivomats (and $90/hr labor) but quoted 2.2 hrs of labor for shocks and springs. I picked up shocks and springs from Tascaparts for $500 total and had a local mechanic do the job. He put the shocks in, but didn't do the springs because he said it would have been another half day of labor. Just trying to figure out if it does take that long or he was missing something?