PDA

View Full Version : 250K miles...third power steering reservoir!

TheDarkKnightt
01-27-2011, 11:08 AM
Either I've been mighty fortunate not to have gone through the stuff others have, or I've put miles on faster than stuff can wear out. :p

It's time for a tune up- all the regular stuff:

Timing belt, pulleys
PCV system- as there are broken hoses
Change radiator fluid
Spark plugs
Bevel gear oil/diff oil
Check brakes/replace as needed/change fluid

And all the other filters and fluids, etc.

The only things I think I'm going to have to change not as of regular maintainable items is, I think I have a coil going bad- which will be the first one I've replaced since I've owned the car, and the plastic catch that holds the regulator to the passenger side window (I accidentally hit the window switch during our ice storm and broke it).

The one thing I noticed while I had to make a trip to Raleigh last week was, the power steering fluid reservoir had a split in it- I noticed it when I was checking the oil at a gas station. This will be the third one!!! [cussing] Who makes a metal one!?!?! [sly] Am I going to have to come up with it? It has got to cross reference with something else...possibly? Reposition and use a round metal one?

TheDarkKnightt
02-10-2011, 11:10 AM
I went back through and searched every thread on this subject.

These things do seems to fail around the seam- not as high a failure rate as the clamps on the bottom, but still to high for me.

When I first got the car, I replaced the original reservoir with a new one and put high quality fuel line clamps on the hoses going into the reservoir- I thought I had [permanently repaired it. :(

I just ordered a small, round billet aluminum one from Summit and *hope* that once I get it installed I've cured this thing for good, at least until it's time to change it again.
I just hope it fits- I *think* it will, but I might have to reposition it to....somewhere else?

Astro14
02-10-2011, 12:01 PM
Your problem is unusual...I've got a lot of cars that went over 200K...and never once had to worry about the PS reservoir.

The fact that yours fails at about 80K intervals is odd...but you don't mention the failure mode...crack in the body? Leaking/weeping? what exactly is happening to these things?

Plastic will crack if subjected to chemical attack, or excess strain, vibration or temperature. Assuming that you don't have some odd fluid in there, and didn't over-tighten those "high-quality fuel line clamps" - and assuming that your engine isn't running oddly hot...that leaves vibration. Are the mounts still good (that little tab on the coolant reservoir...)? Is it resting against another component that it should be resting against?

Trying to understand...

TheDarkKnightt
02-10-2011, 01:08 PM
No, it isn't leaking around the hose connections or cap.
Yes, the tab that holds it to the frame is good.
I only use Pentosin CHF202 power steering fluid and change it every 50K.

The leaks/weeps come from the seam where the top of the reservoir is mated to the bottom- the seam fails. :mad: I just suppose I have gotten three bad ones on this car.
I noticed a bit of weeping but always kept a check on it- but on a trip to Raleigh I lost enough fluid I had to buy some more because I heard groaning from the steering pump. :confused: It was full when I started, so I lost enough from the leak to do that. :(

I like to work on the car, but I don't like replacing parts that should not fail- especially more than once during a vehicle's lifetime. [cussing]

Astro14
02-10-2011, 01:53 PM
Yeah...I am with you 100%...replacing parts that don't last a reasonable service life is a waste of time and $$...clearly a weak point...like the engine mounts that wear out so quickly...

Did you happen to read the post about the reservoir inlet tube being aimed wrong and causing foaming? Maybe you wrote it...I can't recall...but I wonder if there is excess pressure caused by foaming as the fluid is returned to the reservoir...I know that the system is supposed to be "slightly" pressurised in normal operation...but...:confused:

Or, you're really unlucky...

And you're certain that it's not leaking from the rack...even slightly? 250K on the original rack is pretty amazing...pretty common to have rack seal leaks...