PDA

View Full Version : Audio Amp help...

music2ears
01-16-2011, 02:37 AM
Hi there, my Volvo XC70 has a 300w audio amplifier under the drivers seat, during the uk's december snowfall, a rear seat passenger had put there snow covered feet under my seat. for me to realise after that this had actually knackered my amplifier. It's almost certainly dead, as it had this awful electrical burning smell, and the amp even still smells now, even though the amps been removed from the car for the best part of a month. Was i just unlucky, or is this a regular occurance in snowy places?? or is it just a stupid place to put an amplifier? Can i purchase the circuitboard from anywhere, or the amp unit, except from a main dealer or scrap yard? Any ideas folks? The part number is 8666630. Cheers Guys and Girls.
Steve

XCovlov70
01-21-2011, 02:07 PM
Hi there, my Volvo XC70 has a 300w audio amplifier under the drivers seat, during the uk's december snowfall, a rear seat passenger had put there snow covered feet under my seat. for me to realise after that this had actually knackered my amplifier. It's almost certainly dead, as it had this awful electrical burning smell, and the amp even still smells now, even though the amps been removed from the car for the best part of a month. Was i just unlucky, or is this a regular occurance in snowy places?? or is it just a stupid place to put an amplifier? Can i purchase the circuitboard from anywhere, or the amp unit, except from a main dealer or scrap yard? Any ideas folks? The part number is 8666630. Cheers Guys and Girls.
Steve

I am not sure if this amplifier came as 'Standard Equipment' for your XC70 as the Volvo top 'Dyna Sound' audio system I think is not that powerful. 140Watts seems to be the figure I remember, but that might be per channel which would equate to your 300Watt Amp.

It would however seem strange that snow has penetrated the case, caused a short and burnt out the unit, however you could try Googling 'Volvo Breakers' or something like 'Find a Part' then ask them if they have a s/hand amp, as I am assuming that the car is not still under warranty.

cattlecar
01-21-2011, 02:13 PM
Depending on the security level specified by Volvo for UK market, you may have to have any replacement amplifier reloaded at Volvo workshop. This applies to 08 up with fibre optic audio network when the security level specification includes security for the audio components.
I would think it would take a huge amount of wet shoes to do this.
Could it have been mashed wires instead of wetting?

music2ears
01-23-2011, 04:55 PM
Hi there, whilist driving i could smell an awful electrical burning smell. It only happened once, the speakers crackled a few times in the same journey, even though the stereo wasnt turned on!! When i googled volvo amp location it said under the drivers (UK spec) seat. So there it was, i took the seat out and the amp, i could smell it was the amp right away. it still smell awful to this day, even though its in the garage. I can smell it as soon as i walk in there. I took the outer casing off the amp and you can clearly see several components burnt out. And even see the wetness under the circuit board. Im guessing the snow came off the boots and melted ontop of the amp, running inside through a plug or similar. I went to my Volvo main dealer, who really was unhelpful, but did reassure me that i wasnt the only one to incounter this problem, and i insisted that the car is for off road use as well as onroad and said surely the vehicle should be designed to accept muddy wet wellies or any foot wear really. to which i was told a brand new part is all i can do, and to this day havent bought one, and wont until i find one second hand. The item is a PA-300 part number 8666630, i just had this re confirmed by Volvo. Its a 2007. I hope this helps.
Steve