PDA

View Full Version : Tire recommendations.

simjar
01-11-2011, 12:17 PM
I recently purchased a 2008 XC70 that came with the original Continental 4x4 contact XL BW (215/65R16) tires. I generally prefer Michelin tires and would like some advice as to which Michelin tires work best on this vehicle. I live in Los Angeles and drive mostly in town so snow is not really an issue.

Any suggestions??

Kiwishamoo
01-11-2011, 03:00 PM
We've got the factory fitted Pirelli P Zero Assymetricos on ours and they seem to do the job fine

XCovlov70
01-12-2011, 07:26 AM
The Pirelli's we had did not seem to last very long, I think we got 22,000 miles out of the front gyres before replacement with Kuhmo Solus.

The Kuhmo were also fitted to the rear wheels not long after and up to the time we swapped the 09 XC70 for the 2011 XC70 the road noise was considerably less, I was getting a better MPG and tyre wear was not as much as the Pirelli's.

The 2011 came with Pirelli fitted and I am looking forward to getting Kuhmo's fitted again.

simjar
01-16-2011, 09:34 AM
I don't know about Kumho tires, but what I really like about Michelins is that they are quiet and long lasting. Perhaps Kumho will be something to consider.

Thanks.
[thumbup]

XCovlov70
01-21-2011, 01:56 PM
I don't know about Kumho tires, but what I really like about Michelins is that they are quiet and long lasting. Perhaps Kumho will be something to consider.

Thanks.
[thumbup]

I have to admit that the best Michelin Tyres I ever had were a set of Michelin XZX that were fitted to a Volvo 144S and they lasted for 55,000 UK Miles.

Sadly soon after they stopped manufacture of the XZX and brought out a Michelin 'Energy' that is supposed to give you better MPG but people who have had them fitted have all told me that they have worn out a lot faster, and to top it off they are NOT a cheap tyre!

We have just come back home from Gatwick Airport in not very good weather and the current Pirelli's were extremely 'noisy' on the road, and when I think back to the Kuhmo tyres on the previous XC70 they were a heck of a lot more quite than these Pirelli's in the same conditions!

Tango
01-22-2011, 12:44 PM
I put Michelin Hydro Green X on my daughters S40AWD. She loves them! :) I just bought a Honda Civic and will look to put them on in the spring. Wish they made them for the XC60. Tom :)

beavenx5
02-08-2011, 06:33 AM
We just installed Bridgetone Turanza Serenity 99H on our XC70 T6 in size 235/55/R17 back in August. They are much better than the OEM Continentals in handling. Supposetely they will also last much longer (rated 740 vs 360 for the OEM Contis).

Other tires I have tried and liked lately are the Yokohama Avid Envigor on my S4 Cabriolet. They might be a little less performant than my previous Michelin Pilot SP2 but the Pilot lasted about 15,000 milies and were quite expensive. These should last more than double.

My brother got last year some Continantal Extreme Contact DWH on his A4 Avant and love them.

Remember that the XC70 is a heavy car. You need XL load tires with, I beleive, a minimum load index of either 97 or 99. Not every tire will be available in XL load index.

nosheets
05-03-2011, 05:25 PM
I put the Nokian Entyre on at 39000 miles. 6000 miles later I am very satisfied great handling, very quiet ride, reasonable price the tire has outside on the tread face and it was still there after 2000 miles so I am hoping great tire life. We spent the winter in Florida and they gave great gas mileage 25-27 on the highway at 75-80 MPH. The car holds the road very well a lot better than the conti's and wet performance is as very good.[cool2]

rovermark
05-03-2011, 08:23 PM
I based my choice on TireRack's user-based review charts. My first choice was Conti ExtremeContact DSW, but they are on back-order, and those who sell them may overprice them because of this.

My second choice was Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus. Very good, no complaints. I only have one week experience with them though.

A Subaru Outback we have has Michelin Primacy MXV4. It is difficult to evaluate those tires because that car is unrefined and rides poorly, but I have no complaints about those tires. I would say they are good.

Tire Rack's user-based review charts as below:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=GTAS&width=235%2F&ratio=55&diameter=17&tireSearch=true&autoMake=Volvo&autoYear=2009&autoModel=XC70&autoModClar=T6+AWD

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=UHPAS&width=235%2F&ratio=55&diameter=17&tireSearch=true&autoMake=Volvo&autoYear=2009&autoModel=XC70&autoModClar=T6+AWD

Kiwishamoo
05-14-2011, 11:57 PM
The Pirelli's we had did not seem to last very long, I think we got 22,000 miles out of the front gyres before replacement with Kuhmo Solus.

The Kuhmo were also fitted to the rear wheels not long after and up to the time we swapped the 09 XC70 for the 2011 XC70 the road noise was considerably less, I was getting a better MPG and tyre wear was not as much as the Pirelli's.

The 2011 came with Pirelli fitted and I am looking forward to getting Kuhmo's fitted again.

What kuhmos did you have fitted? - are they 4 seasons?

XCovlov70
05-15-2011, 08:41 AM
What kuhmos did you have fitted? - are they 4 seasons?

Kuhmo Solus KH15 Tyres were fitted at £70/Wheel including fitting/new valve & balancing, but I used them both Summer & Winter with no problems.

However I just checked a website called 'My Tyre' and they are listed there at £125 before fitting, but if you want 2 or more it might be worth shopping around, but use the My Tyre price as a guide! [thumbup]

http://ssl.delti.com/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?dsco=110&cart_id=76268293.110.13162&s_p=Tyres

mgbannister
05-21-2011, 09:21 AM
I replaced my Continental Contact tires last fall with Pirelli Scorpion STRs. The Continentals only had about 30K miles on them and the tread was down to nothing. I have been very happy with the Scorpions. I found them on sale online at TireRack.com, and called my nearest Discount Tires who matched the price (they added $ 10 per tire for shipping which was more than fair).