PDA

View Full Version : Suspension rebuild parts list

dixiebuyer
01-04-2011, 04:43 PM
Here is a list I put together for rebuilding the front end of my 99 v70xc. Anyone see anything other than misc nuts (I can get local) I might be missing or anyplace I can save money. Body code on the rear nivomats is 6. I think my floaty ride may be a result of the rear shocks being shot more than the front, reminds me or a Corvair my dad had that he had to load with bricks in the front to bring the nose down.

Prices are from IPD.

Lemforder Control Arm LH 160.95
Lemforder Control Arm RH 166
Tie Rod End LH 32.35
Tie Rod End RH 32.75
Front Strut Mount Bearing x 2 157.44
Bumpstop x 2 38.7
Bellows x2 19.7
Front Strut Top Nut Tool 21.95
Front Upper Spring seat x2 99.9
Sachs Front Struts x2 249.2
Nivomat Rears x2 576
Rear Upper Shock Mount 49.16
Sway Bar End links x2 45.42

JRL
01-04-2011, 07:29 PM
Here is a list I put together for rebuilding the front end of my 99 v70xc. Anyone see anything other than misc nuts (I can get local) I might be missing or anyplace I can save money. Body code on the rear nivomats is 6. I think my floaty ride may be a result of the rear shocks being shot more than the front, reminds me or a Corvair my dad had that he had to load with bricks in the front to bring the nose down.

Prices are from IPD.

Lemforder Control Arm LH 160.95
Lemforder Control Arm RH 166 BAD IDEA UNLESS THESE ARE OEM
Tie Rod End LH 32.35
Tie Rod End RH 32.75
Front Strut Mount Bearing x 2 157.44
Bumpstop x 2 38.7
Bellows x2 19.7
Front Strut Top Nut Tool 21.95
Front Upper Spring seat x2 99.9 I HOPE THESE ARE OEM XC90 OR IPD HD
Sachs Front Struts x2 249.2
Nivomat Rears x2 576
Rear Upper Shock Mount 49.16
Sway Bar End links x2 45.42

I don't see INNER tie rods anywhere

dixiebuyer
01-05-2011, 04:19 AM
I thought the Lemforder are OEM, at any rate Lemforder is supposed to be on par if not equal, but I will check.

You are right about the inner tie rods, I was going to get a replacement rack at one point, but I think my floaty problems are more to do with the rears.

The spring seats are the heavy duty ones special to IPD.

I also have an email into Waltrip Volvo re the rear nivomats as I heard their prices are better.

Thanks for the input!

JRL
01-05-2011, 06:16 AM
Waltrip does not do mail order anymore, Tasca is the cheapest now
FCP also sells Nivos fairly cheap now
Don't forget to buy new REAR springs.
OEM are weak as they are soft. The rear is supoprted by the Nivo, not the spring as in most cars

dixiebuyer
01-05-2011, 02:45 PM
Yeah I never heard back from Waltrip. I actually have a lake house near Paris Tennessee and a trip to Franklin would not have been too far out of the way.

Didn't get the springs suggestion until I placed my order. If it comes in before the weekend I guess I might make a trip up to Memphis and just pay the dealer. It doesn't look like IPD or FCPGroton sell them for nivomats? What are the chances I could get away without new springs?

JRL
01-05-2011, 02:52 PM
Usually special order.
No one I know carries R rear springs

pjg01930
01-28-2011, 09:12 AM
Dixiebuyer - can you give us an update on the rear suspension rebuild? I am trying to get some information on the rear springs and no one seems to have an answer. Wondering if you could share you experience?? thanks

dixiebuyer
02-06-2011, 09:43 PM
Had a problem getting the parts. Then I also decided to replace o2 sensors as well. I am taking the car in for alignment and will give an update.

The rear shocks were very easy to replace, a couple of hours only. You definitely need an offset wrench.

The front suspension rebuild was a bit of a nightmare. The control arm bolts are frustrating to get to. On the driver's side you have to lift the engine up to get to them. A cut off tool was definitely my friend.

I can tell the car rides much smoother, the struts and shocks were shot. But I haven't got it above 35 mph yet because the alignment was so off. I also suspect my cheap tires aren't helping the floaty steering feel.

Again, I will give a better report once I get it aligned. I may go ahead and spring for new tires. Anyone got any suggestions along these lines? Anyone got a Toyo tire they like for these tires? Firestone here is running a sale buy 3 get 1 free on Firehawk GTs, but it appears from reviews they are noisy, something I don't like.

Car is getting real close to stage 0. Just a few instrument lamps to take care of and a couple of other small things.

JRL
02-07-2011, 06:37 AM
PLEASE don't buy Toyos.
What size tires are you running and I will suggest some?
If you're running 16's go with the Conti DWS, by FAR the best A/S tire for the money out there.
If you're running 15's PM me

dixiebuyer
02-07-2011, 07:22 PM
Apparently the axle on the driver's side was screwed up, car is still in the shop, since they caught it I figured I would have them repair it.

I am running 15's I had heard that the Toyo Versado was very quiet from several Volvo owners. There is not a dealer I trust around here that carries Continental tires, except maybe
Wal-mart it looks like. I hate going to Wal-mart, I have been there 3 times in 8 years and I live in a fairly small town.

Firestone has a deal right now, buy 3 get one free, but I hear their Firehawks are loud.

I don't need to worry about winter traction much as I live in the south. Most of my miles are highway.

dixiebuyer
02-08-2011, 06:55 PM
Okay, car is out of the shop. Ride is much improved. Steering, somewhat. It still feels a little non-responsive, maybe that is just how these cars are. The only things I think I could replace would be springs, the rack and tires. I am going for tires first just to see (the car has some mismatched crappy tires on it at purchase).

The Goodyear store can sell me Goodyear Eagle GTs, Dunlop Signatures or Kelly Navigator Tour Golds for within $20 bucks of each other at around $450 mounted and balanced. The Firestone store is a little cheaper on their high performance Firehawks. JRL tells me Toyos should not be on my short list, but I am still thinking of the Versados due to everyone saying how quiet they are. (But I would trade that for something that sticks and doesn't float)

The dealer can get Contis, special order which I think probably means another $50. I've never had much luck with Michelins, but am willing to give them a shot on this car as it is the first AWD I have ever owned. What do you guys say?

JRL
02-08-2011, 07:08 PM
Conti DWS does not come in 15s as far as I know

You may have a bad rack or bad inner tie rods.
The steering is decent on these cars, and very direct when everything is nominal