PDA

View Full Version : Transmission slipping when cold

orbital1
01-04-2011, 02:06 PM
This is a new one - I'm hopeful it's weather related, but after 4 years of NY winters, this is a first:

Hopped in the car recently to do the alternate side of the street parking I know and love. It was in the 20's outside, but I typically let the car warm up for 2-3 minutes before moving. I put it in reverse and the tranny just slipped - enough that the car was half out in the street, so I had to commit to moving it.

I put it in drive and it was slipping again. I had enough forward momentum to pull over at a hydrant and sit a few more minutes.

I also rowed the shifter back and forth 10 or so times thinking it might be a PNP issue. After sitting for another minute, I put it in gear and it drove fine. No slipping while driving, no hard shifting, etc. Only the slipping at cold start.

It happened again a couple of days later - exact same issue. Same result...pulled over, waited a minute or two and then it drove fine with no slippage.

The fluid is still red (albeit a darker shade), but not low or brown/black.

I bought this car with 110K on it and it's now up to 140K. I've taken it to stage 1, except I haven't flushed the tranny or changed the fluid in it yet. I've been hesitant because I don't have adequate enough records to know how well the previous owner maintained it.

I've seen plenty of posts on slipping transmissions here, on Volvospeed and Swedespeed, but all occur seemingly at speed after the car has been running. I haven't seen any for slipping on cold startup.

I'm open to any comments / suggestions as to what can be causing this, what I can do to alleviate the issue and what it's life expectancy might be.

Thanks,
Mark

1998 V70XC

cnics
01-24-2011, 12:24 PM
I've had this over the colder period this year with mine, here in the UK.

I've only EVER noticed it when i go to reverse first, never when driving off forwards first. I'm not sure if this is a red herring but sometimes it doesn't need to be THAT cold and it will slip a lot in reverse, i've usually stopped and let it sit there for a few more minutes and it's cured it. However i checked the fluid level today and it was low (a concern) as it only had drain and refill a short time ago and it's not lost fluid before. I'll be checking for leaks and keeping an eye on it.

If the fluid isn't low (I'm told to check it with engine running at operating temp and in park, is that correct?) then i don't really know what to say, see if you notice a trend with it only doing it when you need to reverse first.

Rob

JRL
01-24-2011, 12:31 PM
Change the fluid and wait longer.
I let them warm up in this weather over 5 minutes, more like 10 before I move out and the result is a nice, smooth driving (not to mention WARM) car [thumbup]

01-26-2011, 12:31 PM
Mine is doing the exact same thing but only in reverse first thing in the morning. It seems to slip out of gear rolls forward as my driveway is a slope and then back in and repeats this several times,it really is a pain is this common at the moment how many out there are expeariencing this. regards John.

orbital1
02-01-2011, 10:23 PM
Many thanks! Will do a drain and fill and increase the warm up time. Of course, right now it's still buried in snow from the last fall.

Again - thanks Jim and all!

cnics
02-26-2011, 06:28 AM
Appears i have fluid leaking out of a drive shaft so i'm told. It was in the COLD area when it was warm, so i've topped up, it hasn't done it since, it's going in Monday to be fixed. Failed MOT last week, only handbrake or lack of though so i'm happy. Must start using the Handbrake!