PDA

View Full Version : suspension lift on V70

threelabs
01-03-2011, 05:50 AM
Hi Guy's
I have a 97 V70 diesel Estate and live in Portugal. Where my house is situated is down a 2 mile rough and bumpy track. I need to raise the suspension, at the moment I have 16" alloys with 205x60 tyres but that is not quite enough. Is there anyway I can get another 1" of ground clearance, my first thought is to make some alloy spacers to fit between the top of the front struts and the body and at the rear just put a spacer at the bottom of the spring. Anyone got any other suggestions? I really do not want to scrap the old girl as I have had her from new and done 250000 reliable miles and she has not been a bit of trouble, when I read a lot of the posts on here about the XC I have been put off by the poor reliability. I think I could get another 100,000 out of her if I could just get some more ground clearance.
Any help would be much appreciated.
Regards
Threelabs

strauchdieb
01-05-2011, 02:00 PM
Hi Threelabs,

I have a quite similar car and problem (V70, 1998, 2.5 GLT). I looked around for a solution to get some more ground clearance but I could not find anything, particularly for the front. You can find 20mm alloy spacers for the rear, e.g. from weitec. I also contacted Weitec and other companies that work with Volvo-tuning or offroad-tuning, but none had a solution. In Brazil they do usually two things:
1) make some special alloy spacers with a ``torneiro''. Problem :mad:: sqeaks and rattles after instalation
2) stretching of the springs.
I did the second, which is also useful to reestablish usual ground clearance. Considering that your V70 is 1997 model it m have already lost a lot of its ground clearance due to natural fatigue of the springs. So, may you try spring stretching first. Nevertheless, if you find any better solution, please let me know.

Abraço
strauchdieb

JRL
01-05-2011, 02:54 PM
Buy XC springs and struts/shocks,
problem solved.
This should give you another 3/4" to 1" more ground clearance

threelabs
01-10-2011, 09:05 AM
Hi Guy's. thanks JRL for suggesting XC front struts/springs and rear springs/shocks, no problem with rear but do you know if the front struts fit straight on providing I get the same year XC ones.
regards threelabs