PDA

View Full Version : Rear Seat Cover

rovermark
12-27-2010, 05:44 PM
Does anyone have this?

http://www.volvocars.com/us/all-cars/volvo-xc70/details/Pages/accessories.aspx?category=d9112087-12f7-4826-9cbc-28334bacda1e

If in Canada, or the U.S.A, anyone have an idea of the price of this?

Is it a two piecer (seat and seat backrest), or a one piecer only (either only seat, or a combo seat and seatback)?

Do you still have access to the Isofix/ Latch childseat attachment system? In otherwords, can I still put in childseats with the Rear Seat Cover?

Finally, any one know what material it is made off? Colour options?

Thanks

XCovlov70
12-29-2010, 02:51 PM
Does anyone have this?

http://www.volvocars.com/us/all-cars/volvo-xc70/details/Pages/accessories.aspx?category=d9112087-12f7-4826-9cbc-28334bacda1e

If in Canada, or the U.S.A, anyone have an idea of the price of this?

Is it a two piecer (seat and seat backrest), or a one piecer only (either only seat, or a combo seat and seatback)?

Do you still have access to the Isofix/ Latch childseat attachment system? In otherwords, can I still put in childseats with the Rear Seat Cover?

Finally, any one know what material it is made off? Colour options?
Thanks

No I haven't got one, however if you watch the Video you will just see the RED Safety Belt Socket just at the end before it fades out, the script on the left of the video also states:

"Rear Seat Cover
You can use the rear seat space as an extra loading area. The durable seat cover helps protect the upholstery if you need to carry a dirty load, somebody with mucky clothes, or a pet. The rear seat safety belts can still be used"

Which I seem to remember wrap into any childseats fitted onto the rear seats.

For answers to the other questions you have asked, sorry I cannot help, but I am sure a Dealer could help, but make sure you are sat down when you ask as the prices for accessories scare the xxxx out of me, and at my time of life I don't want to put pressure on the de-fibrolator just yet!!! :D

Good luck! & Happy New Year [thumbup]

rovermark
12-29-2010, 07:19 PM
No I haven't got one, however if you watch the Video you will just see the RED Safety Belt Socket just at the end before it fades out, the script on the left of the video also states:

"Rear Seat Cover
You can use the rear seat space as an extra loading area. The durable seat cover helps protect the upholstery if you need to carry a dirty load, somebody with mucky clothes, or a pet. The rear seat safety belts can still be used"

Which I seem to remember wrap into any childseats fitted onto the rear seats.

For answers to the other questions you have asked, sorry I cannot help, but I am sure a Dealer could help, but make sure you are sat down when you ask as the prices for accessories scare the xxxx out of me, and at my time of life I don't want to put pressure on the de-fibrolator just yet!!! :D

Good luck! & Happy New Year [thumbup]

Thanks for the reply. I called the dealer today, and he confirmed that the ISOFIX area remains accessible. The price in Canadian dollars (1 CAN dollar = 1 US dollar, but Volvo charges more here anyway) is around $360. I ordered it, and will see if it is worth the money.

Similar seat covers from Orvis sell for around $350 (http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=2E71&dir_id=1633&group_id=10570&cat_id=10577&subcat_id=10578)

so the Volvo one is not that expensive after all.

Lotus99
12-29-2010, 07:27 PM
XCovlov70, you're talking about the regular seatbelt sockets, which seem to be accessible, while rover's referring to the Isofix/Latch childseat attachment points, which are two metal brackets per side that are buried inside the crack of the seats (where the seat back meets the seat bottom). Unless the cover is two pieces, or there are two cutouts per side where the childseat anchors would go thru, I don't see how child seats could be attached with the cover on.

Here's what they look like on another car:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/08/Isofix_anchorpoints.jpg/450px-Isofix_anchorpoints.jpg
Many cars have a little plastic marker on the seat to indicate where the bracket is hidden:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_Il9XA8_6CgE/Sl1xCf_xFII/AAAAAAAAACA/vWf95qTK0rk/s320/isofix.JPG

rovermark
12-29-2010, 07:38 PM
I did ask the dealer that, and he said the description reads that the ISOFIX points are accessible. I don't know where he read that, but if it is not, it would be useless to me. I will have to see in two weeks when it comes in.

XCovlov70
12-30-2010, 02:56 AM
XCovlov70, you're talking about the regular seatbelt sockets, which seem to be accessible, while rover's referring to the Isofix/Latch childseat attachment points, which are two metal brackets per side that are buried inside the crack of the seats (where the seat back meets the seat bottom). Unless the cover is two pieces, or there are two cutouts per side where the childseat anchors would go thru, I don't see how child seats could be attached with the cover on.

I did ask the dealer that, and he said the description reads that the ISOFIX points are accessible. I don't know where he read that, but if it is not, it would be useless to me. I will have to see in two weeks when it comes in.

My apologies guys.
In the UK all the Child/Baby Seats here use the Seat Belts to hold the seat in place.
The Child/Baby Seat then has it's own seat belts permanently fitted to it to hold the Child/Baby in place.
I have not seen the ISOFIX points and certainly not the section of seat that is removable to allow access to them.

Looking at the Volvo Video for the Seat Covers the rear piece does not seem to show any holes or flaps that would allow access to the ISOFIX points and certainly does not mention them in the text.

rovermark
12-30-2010, 08:49 AM
My apologies guys.
In the UK all the Child/Baby Seats here use the Seat Belts to hold the seat in place.
The Child/Baby Seat then has it's own seat belts permanently fitted to it to hold the Child/Baby in place.
I have not seen the ISOFIX points and certainly not the section of seat that is removable to allow access to them.

Looking at the Volvo Video for the Seat Covers the rear piece does not seem to show any holes or flaps that would allow access to the ISOFIX points and certainly does not mention them in the text.

In most cars that I have seen, you cannot remove part of the seat to access those points. I don't know where Lotus99 got that picture, but it is not the customary set-up. It looks like it is a Ford family hauler from my guess, perhaps the C-Max? Usually though, you just need to blindly feed the seat latch into the area where the latch is (that's why newer cars put an ISOFIX button to make finding it easier).

Quite frankly, I don't understand British law - I find using the seatbelts a worse set up, and if I am correct, the ISOFIX system came into place to ensure that car seats are installed correctly and securely. I wonder at the logic of allowing baby seats in the front, which is allowed in Britain, even if they are rear-facing. Volvo, in their Owners Manual vehemently advises against this, yet, in the highly regulated British traffic system, it is normal to have baby seats in the front. The reason why airbags are automatically deactivated is partly because children are allowed in the front. it would be an interesting debate re. the pros (if any) and cons of that set-up.

In any case, this is what I found about the Volvo OEM Rear Seat Guard; It DOES allow access to the ISOFIX points, because that is the way it is put in place. And it does seem to still allow in the installation of a car seat over the installation of the Rear Seat Guard, I hope - see below:

A customised rear seat guard in "Flextech" material which, with attractive zip fasteners, gives a sporty and stylish look.

V70, XC70 30754506
The rear seat guard is practical if you want to transport, your golf bag, for example, in the backseat. Also great if you want to pick up the kids from outdoor practices or transport your pet without risking a dirty interior.

Effectively protects the interior against the wet and dirt. The guard is easy to install into the Isofix eyelets around the headrests and around the seat cushion.

Facts and Advantages

Easy installation around the headrests and hooks in Isofix eyelets
Suitable for any interior
Easy to clean with washing up liquid and a sponge
Delivered in a handy storage bag
Can be used together with seatbelts for all passengers
Technical data

Material:

Flextech/Vinyl

Color:

Off-black

Accessory weight:

2.5 kg (5.5 lbs)

Our Price: £161.78
RRP: £179.75 | You Save: £17.97 (10%)

Considerably cheaper in Britain then than in Canada.

XCovlov70
12-30-2010, 09:40 AM
In most cars that I have seen, you cannot remove part of the seat to access those points. I don't know where Lotus99 got that picture, but it is not the customary set-up. It looks like it is a Ford family hauler from my guess, perhaps the C-Max? Usually though, you just need to blindly feed the seat latch into the area where the latch is (that's why newer cars put an ISOFIX button to make finding it easier).

Quite frankly, I don't understand British law - I find using the seatbelts a worse set up, and if I am correct, the ISOFIX system came into place to ensure that car seats are installed correctly and securely. I wonder at the logic of allowing baby seats in the front, which is allowed in Britain, even if they are rear-facing. Volvo, in their Owners Manual vehemently advises against this, yet, in the highly regulated British traffic system, it is normal to have baby seats in the front. The reason why airbags are automatically deactivated is partly because children are allowed in the front. it would be an interesting debate re. the pros (if any) and cons of that set-up.

In any case, this is what I found about the Volvo OEM Rear Seat Guard; It DOES allow access to the ISOFIX points, because that is the way it is put in place. And it does seem to still allow in the installation of a car seat over the installation of the Rear Seat Guard, I hope - see below:

A customised rear seat guard in "Flextech" material which, with attractive zip fasteners, gives a sporty and stylish look.

V70, XC70 30754506
The rear seat guard is practical if you want to transport, your golf bag, for example, in the backseat. Also great if you want to pick up the kids from outdoor practices or transport your pet without risking a dirty interior.

Effectively protects the interior against the wet and dirt. The guard is easy to install into the Isofix eyelets around the headrests and around the seat cushion.

Facts and Advantages

Easy installation around the headrests and hooks in Isofix eyelets
Suitable for any interior
Easy to clean with washing up liquid and a sponge
Delivered in a handy storage bag
Can be used together with seatbelts for all passengers
Technical data

Material:

Flextech/Vinyl

Color:

Off-black

Accessory weight:

2.5 kg (5.5 lbs)

Our Price: £161.78
RRP: £179.75 | You Save: £17.97 (10%)

Considerably cheaper in Britain then than in Canada.

Glad you are making progress!
It must be the only accessory that is!

Just out of curiosity I ran the Volvo 'Car Configurator' on both the USA Volvo website and then again on the UK website.

This 'tool' allows you to build your own spec Volvo, so as a direct price comparison I went for as near as dammit a 'like for like' "Build"

Results as follows:
Based on 3.2ltr (Petrol/Gas) AWD with the same accessories, and Exchange Rate of £1 = $1.5

USA Purchased Car would cost $46100 (£30733)
UK Purchased Car would cost $65205 (£43735)

Warranty in UK is 3 Years Parts & Labour, plus 1 year Europe wide Breakdown Cover.

Warranty in USA is 5 Years plus all Servicing & Maintenance Costs, not sure about Breakdown Cover.

rovermark
12-30-2010, 09:52 AM
Glad you are making progress!
It must be the only accessory that is!

Just out of curiosity I ran the Volvo 'Car Configurator' on both the USA Volvo website and then again on the UK website.

This 'tool' allows you to build your own spec Volvo, so as a direct price comparison I went for as near as dammit a 'like for like' "Build"

Results as follows:
Based on 3.2ltr (Petrol/Gas) AWD with the same accessories, and Exchange Rate of £1 = $1.5

USA Purchased Car would cost $46100 (£30733)
UK Purchased Car would cost $65205 (£43735)

Warranty in UK is 3 Years Parts & Labour, plus 1 year Europe wide Breakdown Cover.

Warranty in USA is 5 Years plus all Servicing & Maintenance Costs, not sure about Breakdown Cover.

Yes, in my opinion, the United States has the cheapest car prices anywhere. That is why (again in my view) some car companies don't offer all options in the US. For example, the Volvo 4C system is not available in the United States for anyprice, because the Americans would not end up paying for it anyway.

However, I am located in Canada. The price of my car (2009 T6 XC70 with everything except omitted ventilated seats, BLIS, upgraded sound system, radar cruise control, booster cushions, and collision warning systems cost me $62,500. is that similar to the UK configured car?

In Canada, it is standard from European cars to have 4 years warranty and Roadside Assistance (Breakdown coverage). The Americans have it good, but these are artificial low prices, making it difficult for European companies to be competitive with the current exchange rates. If fact, VW has introduced new Jettas and Passats that are specific to North America and technological inferior to yours for the simple reason to be able to lower prices in the united states. Not a winning solution.

XCovlov70
12-30-2010, 12:28 PM
However, I am located in Canada. The price of my car (2009 T6 XC70 with everything except omitted ventilated seats, BLIS, upgraded sound system, radar cruise control, booster cushions, and collision warning systems cost me $62,500. is that similar to the UK configured car?

In Canada, it is standard from European cars to have 4 years warranty and Roadside Assistance (Breakdown coverage). The Americans have it good, but these are artificial low prices, making it difficult for European companies to be competitive with the current exchange rates. If fact, VW has introduced new Jettas and Passats that are specific to North America and technological inferior to yours for the simple reason to be able to lower prices in the united states. Not a winning solution.

Yes the price you paid is similar to the UK, but it also begs the question:
If the US is so much cheaper for the same 'animal' is it difficult or complicated to go over the border to buy one there?

I still think we are to some extent getting ripped off over here as prices in certain countries in Europe are a lot less than the UK but then if you buy from in Europe, and you can order a car with the steering wheel 'on the wrong side' you still have all the Customs & Excise 'Controls' to meet and satisfy along with paying possibly more Tax.

Having said that we went to Spain & Portugal in 2009/10 and a Spanish Volvo Garage wanted nearly double the cost of having a routine service carried out on the car that I would pay in the UK, so we still have to shop around over here! [thumbup]

Lotus99
12-30-2010, 01:55 PM
My apologies guys.

Wow, considering the ISOFIX is an international standard from about 10 years ago, I'm shocked it's not in use in the UK yet. Are you sure? Would seem odd that the mfr's would leave it out of UK cars, when they're putting them in for the rest of the world.

According to this British site of a car seat maker:

Since February 2006, all new car models must be equipped with the standardised ISOFIX and top tether anchorage points. From 2011 European regulations require all cars to adhere to this standard.

http://www.britax.co.uk/safety-centre/what-is-isofix

The UK dept. of road safety does refer to them also: http://www.roadsafetyni.gov.uk/index/cars/newseatbeltregulations/childrestraint2.htm

I got the first pic from Wikipedia. There are basically 3 types of car seats for kids here, all of which can be connected using seatbelts, but for the first two, the ISOFIX connection is the preferred method as it's more secure and easier to do / not mess up. I've read that only 30% of car seats are installed correctly using an adult seatbelt.

1 - Infant
2 - Toddler
3 - Booster seats (these use the regular seatbelts also because the child weighs more than the limits that the ISOFIX system can handle)

rovermark
12-30-2010, 05:44 PM
Yes the price you paid is similar to the UK, but it also begs the question:
If the US is so much cheaper for the same 'animal' is it difficult or complicated to go over the border to buy one there?

That's precisely what some do. There are businesses set-up specifically that act as a "broker" to do all the paper work etc.

Some car companies forbid their American dealers from selling to Canadians, imposing penalties on those who do. Some invalidate the warranties. In any case, financing or leasing is not available for those companies (like Volvo) who tolerate it.

Canadians still have to make modifications to the cars to meet Canadian standards.

Personally, I'd rather get a car built to Canadian standards and pay the extra cost, rather than get an American car and have to deal with officials on both sides of the border and spend the time in doing this. I wonder also about resale value (I would not buy an American imported car).

Wow, considering the ISOFIX is an international standard from about 10 years ago, I'm shocked it's not in use in the UK yet. Are you sure? Would seem odd that the mfr's would leave it out of UK cars, when they're putting them in for the rest of the world.

Although XCovlov70 would know better, my understanding is that U.K. specified cars do have it. But child seats with that feature are not as widespread + people put their baby seats in the front-seat. XCovlov70 can correct me if I am mistaken.

I don't have children, so I don't know for sure, but the whole ISOFIX system came about to make it easier and ensure correct installation of car seats. Surprising then if they have not caught in in the U.K.

Lotus99
12-30-2010, 06:50 PM
Canadians still have to make modifications to the cars to meet Canadian standards.

Personally, I'd rather get a car built to Canadian standards and pay the extra cost, rather than get an American car and have to deal with officials on both sides of the border and spend the time in doing this. I wonder also about resale value (I would not buy an American imported car).

Very few cars needed modifications up to a year ago, and now, even less, since Canada decided to go with the US standards. It was usually nothing more than enabling daytime running lights for 99% of cars out there, as most speedos already have both miles and km's on them. A few high end mfrs like BMW and Merc. decided to make it harder / less profitable for people and forced them to buy Cdn speedos as part of the conversion, but I hear that's not the case anymore either.

Resale value of a US car is definitely less here, but then again, you've saved thousands of dollars (if not tens of thousands depending on the car) up front... Not worth the savings generally if you're not going to keep the car more than a few years, otherwise, savings should outweigh any potential lower resale value, contrary to what the dealers try to scare you into believing.

Quite a few dealers here even started selling US cars themselves!

XCovlov70
12-31-2010, 07:38 AM
Although XCovlov70 would know better, my understanding is that U.K. specified cars do have it. But child seats with that feature are not as widespread + people put their baby seats in the front-seat. XCovlov70 can correct me if I am mistaken.

I don't have children, so I don't know for sure, but the whole ISOFIX system came about to make it easier and ensure correct installation of car seats. Surprising then if they have not caught in in the U.K.

Oh boy!
I am having some serious "Senior Moments" lately and no doubt some smart alec unless you also get the advert over there is going to make the comment: "Should have gone to Specsavers" which is an optician's on this side of the Pond!

Why?
Well there are 4 ISOFIX Points identified with little labels on the rear passenger seats! :D

However in defense I will say that in every car that we have seen carrying children the child seats have been fitted using the seat belts and not the ISOFIX points.

I believe the reason is that using the seat belt allows for much easier removal & installation of the child seat between a 2 or 3 car family and especially when going shopping as the child remains in the seat which is then lifted out and then placed in the shopping trolley.

Also using the seat belt stops any message on the dashboard telling you that the seat belts have not been used when the baby seat is fixed to the ISOFIX points, as they are not wired into the message system.

rovermark
12-31-2010, 09:38 AM
Oh boy!

I believe the reason is that using the seat belt allows for much easier removal & installation of the child seat between a 2 or 3 car family and especially when going shopping as the child remains in the seat which is then lifted out and then placed in the shopping trolley.

Also using the seat belt stops any message on the dashboard telling you that the seat belts have not been used when the baby seat is fixed to the ISOFIX points, as they are not wired into the message system.

I cannot comment on the ease of taking out the ISOFIX seats. I know that some baby seats are detachable from the base (base stays in the car). However, the rear seat belt warning is triggered by weight, so it would make sense that it is not activated below a certain threshold. In our cars (at least for 2009) Volvo convieniently omitted any passenger (except the driver) seat belt warning of any kind (even the driver's warning goes out after a few seconds even if you don't use your belt....)

XCovlov70
12-31-2010, 10:21 AM
I cannot comment on the ease of taking out the ISOFIX seats. I know that some baby seats are detachable from the base (base stays in the car). However, the rear seat belt warning is triggered by weight, so it would make sense that it is not activated below a certain threshold. In our cars (at least for 2009) Volvo convieniently omitted any passenger (except the driver) seat belt warning of any kind (even the driver's warning goes out after a few seconds even if you don't use your belt....)

All the seats are wired into the seat belt warning in this 2011 model and don't stop 'Dinging' until you 'Belt Up'!

The 'Dinger' sounds very 'Ford Motor Company' and also goes faster as you go faster!

Still it's better to be safe than sorry!

TXXC
02-01-2011, 02:26 PM
Sorry for not saying something sooner on this. I've been offline for the last month.

So the seat cover from Volvo has two opennings for accessing the two seatbelts. It does not have openning for the ISO loops for a baby carrier. It does however use those points to help hold the cover in place. You actually hook onto the loops using hooks built into the seat cover.

I've been using the cover a little the last couple weeks and like it. Finally got a chance to test it with wet passengers and it works great.

rovermark
02-03-2011, 07:19 AM
Sorry for not saying something sooner on this. I've been offline for the last month.

So the seat cover from Volvo has two opennings for accessing the two seatbelts. It does not have openning for the ISO loops for a baby carrier. It does however use those points to help hold the cover in place. You actually hook onto the loops using hooks built into the seat cover.

I've been using the cover a little the last couple weeks and like it. Finally got a chance to test it with wet passengers and it works great.

Thanks for the response - I have already bought it now and cannot return it after I realized what you you wrote above. I am going to have to modify it to make holes to allow child-seats to be installed. I hate to do that to such an expensive item....

Lotus99
02-03-2011, 11:58 AM
Thanks for the response - I have already bought it now and cannot return it after I realized what you you wrote above. I am going to have to modify it to make holes to allow child-seats to be installed. I hate to do that to such an expensive item....

I thought you checked and it did allow it? Didn't you also check with the dealer and he said the same?

In any case, this is what I found about the Volvo OEM Rear Seat Guard; It DOES allow access to the ISOFIX points, because that is the way it is put in place. And it does seem to still allow in the installation of a car seat over the installation of the Rear Seat Guard, I hope -

rovermark
02-03-2011, 03:23 PM
I thought you checked and it did allow it? Didn't you also check with the dealer and he said the same?

It is one-piece - the bottom piece is held in place by hooks that make use of the Isofix points (quite a good system), while the upper piece is attached to the headrests. you attach the lower piece first, then the upper piece. It makes perfect sense now, but at the time I could not figure it out....

Lotus99
02-03-2011, 04:26 PM
Aaahhh... So by "hooks in Isofix eyelets" they meant it actually hooks into the Isofix eyelets. Smart way of ensuring it doesn't slip off the lower seat, and I guess they figured you wouldn't be using it with car seats on it.

TXXC
02-07-2011, 08:12 AM
It is one-piece - the bottom piece is held in place by hooks that make use of the Isofix points (quite a good system), while the upper piece is attached to the headrests. you attach the lower piece first, then the upper piece. It makes perfect sense now, but at the time I could not figure it out....

You should be able to just take it to an upholstery shop and they can cut in ISO holes and edge the hole to prevent fraying. Would be pretty easy.

Honestly I think the cover would go great with kids and child seats. Muddy dirty germ machines. I like the idea of being able to hose off the rear bench.