PDA

View Full Version : timing belt

leslie fae stoddard
12-23-2010, 11:50 AM
My 2004 xc volvo station wagon is due for a belt change (102,000 miles). My independent mechanic recommends a dayco brand. Is there anything I need to know related to this procedure?

acools
12-23-2010, 12:44 PM
Your timing belt is a fiber-reinforced belt that links that camshafts (and therefore the intake and exhaust valves) to the crankshaft and therefore the pistons.

By synchronizing the timing of the valves to the timing of the pistons, your timing belt ensures that the valves open and close in the correct sequence. This enables your car to ingest air/fuel, compress it and deliver the power stroke and then vent the burnt fuel.

This belt needs to be replaced every 7 years or 102K miles because if it fails the valves will make contact with the tops of the pistons and this will cause costly damage to your engine.

If your mechanic is doing the work, and you want a belt (I would recommend a Gates belt) then there isn't really anything else to do.

Did this answer your question?

Andres

leslie fae stoddard
12-23-2010, 01:59 PM
Your timing belt is a fiber-reinforced belt that links that camshafts (and therefore the intake and exhaust valves) to the crankshaft and therefore the pistons.

By synchronizing the timing of the valves to the timing of the pistons, your timing belt ensures that the valves open and close in the correct sequence. This enables your car to ingest air/fuel, compress it and deliver the power stroke and then vent the burnt fuel.

This belt needs to be replaced every 7 years or 102K miles because if it fails the valves will make contact with the tops of the pistons and this will cause costly damage to your engine.

If your mechanic is doing the work, and you want a belt (I would recommend a Gates belt) then there isn't really anything else to do.

Did this answer your question?

Andres

Thank you very much. It did anwer my question. Merry Christmas.

Aviator
12-23-2010, 06:03 PM
You might want to make sure that the timing belt tensioner and idler are being replaced at the same time....not just the belt. Personally, I would try and locate Volvo parts or the OEM parts. We're talking about valve timing of the engine here.....not sure I'd be throwing just any name on there. There IS a difference. Here's a suggestion...

http://www.ipdusa.com/Volvo-V70XC70-P2/Engine/Engine-Mechanical/Timing-Belt-Kit/p-127-379-503-3967/

As you can see, for 2004, the parts are VIN specific. You want to do this right, once, and with the right parts, or you'll have a broken engine to show for it. Contitech, by the way, makes the timing belts for Volvo. As an automotive tech with 24 years' experience, I can tell you it's wise to stick with OEM engine parts.

Dave.

Astro14
12-25-2010, 12:10 PM
Dave is absolutely right.

Get the whole kit including tensioner and go with OEM. This service is infrequent enough (100K) that the few $$ you might save with anything other than the OEM kit simply isn't worth it...

IPD sells the whole thing - my local dealer is competitive on price with the kit too.

Cheers...and Merry Christmas!

xcdriver902
12-25-2010, 04:05 PM
What about replacing the water pump? I remember when I did my 850 the first time that the pump was leaking a bit so I had to replace it at the same time. What is the experience with the '04 XC? Is it a good idea while I am in there, or overkill?

Astro14
12-25-2010, 05:29 PM
I am sure that there are many opinions on this one....

I asked the guys at the local Dealer about it, they said that they don't replace them and that they don't see them go bad very often. Perhaps it's the organic acid, phosphate-free Volvo coolant that allows them to last so long...

I "rolled the bones" and left the original in place when I did the belt at 105K.

With 134K on it now, the pump is fine...

Did the same thing when I did the belt on my T-5 and the pump is fine.

any other experiences out there?

JRL
12-25-2010, 05:58 PM
Depends on how long you're going to keep it.
Over 200K miles? Do a water pump for peace of mind

Astro14
12-25-2010, 07:12 PM
Concur - I absolutely plan to keep the cars for 200K (my first two Volvos were on their way to 200K but each met an untimely demise, a tree fell on one at 175K and a Cadillac took out the other at 188K...)

If the car had over 150K...I would have done it the pump with the belt service...

When the next belt goes in - so will a new pump.

Conversely, if the pump goes, I'll be in there with a new belt, idler and tensioner...

But at 100K? well...it's not called for in the way that Ferrari and a few other makes call for a new pump with the timing belt, so...I took a chance...

And I'm good about changing the coolant...

RockitShip
12-27-2010, 01:52 PM
Cam seals... I'd have them replaced too.

JRL
12-27-2010, 03:06 PM
Cam seals... I'd have them replaced too.

No.
Not if they're not bad.
This is a big, miserable job that you don't do unless they're leaking

RockitShip
12-27-2010, 03:36 PM
No.
Not if they're not bad.
This is a big, miserable job that you don't do unless they're leaking

Kind of my point... If they are bad; check to see of leaking, then you'll need to do access through/remove t-belt & etc. anyway. But if it was me, and the originals have never been replaced, I'd have em replaced because they're crap from factory.

Astro14
12-27-2010, 08:02 PM
I took a good look at everything when I was in there with the T-belt...all looked good.

So, I left cam seals, water pump, everything else, alone, following the "if it ain't broke...don't fix it..." philosophy.

30K later, all still looks good, no leaks, no issues...

Is there a body of experience that this stuff all goes south prior to the next T-belt at 210K?

If so, is it much before that next milestone?

Thanks