PDA

View Full Version : Oil change

Seamus
12-18-2010, 02:36 PM
Hey guys,

My friend and I are gonna change the oil in the xc tomorrow, and this is the first time doing it by myself. I know that the filter comes with a new o-ring, but I read in the resource section to replace the gasket for the drain plug? Does this come with a new filter? I have no idea,

Thanks,
Seamus

stever417
12-18-2010, 03:26 PM
Seamus,
The filter doesn't come with a crush washer for the drain plug. I know they recomend putting on a new one each time, however I have been doing my own oil changes on our 2001 xc for 168k miles and have never had to change that washer and it has never leaked.

Good luck, Steve

travelkids
12-18-2010, 03:48 PM
It doesn't come with one. If you use the old one, you may have to fish it out of the oil bucket as it sometimes falls off when the oil drains. Remember to properly torque everything back to specs.

I have been doing it on my 02 for 8 years now and it is easy.

Have fun.

Aviator
12-18-2010, 04:21 PM
Usually, the parts dude at Volvo will toss in a new drain bolt gasket for you. ALWAYS replace the gasket. It's aluminum, and once it's been crushed it's done. Do it right, do it clean, do it once. If the parts dude doesn't toss one in for you, are you really gonna balk at the extra expenditure of about 50 cents?? It's cheap peace of mind.

Dave.

Astro14
12-18-2010, 05:44 PM
I am with Aviator Dave - replace the 50 cent crush washer.

I strongly recommend the use of synthetic oil given the turbocharger and the 7500 mile oil change interval. I am partial to a few brands, but the point is to use a good quality synthetic oil. They flow better, clean better, last longer. For winter, 5W30 is recommended, but there are a few brands (e.g. Mobil 1) that have a 0W30.

Same operating temperature viscosity as a 5W30, but better flow in the cold.

Best of both worlds.

Make sure you've got a wrench for that housing. IPD sells one, there are many others. If some gorilla put it on before you and exceeded the recommended 25NM torque, you'll never get it off with a regular filter wrench and I hate to think what channel-locks would do to a plastic housing...

cheers.

Seamus
12-18-2010, 06:47 PM
Thanks for the quick replies.

1) isn't it not recommended to switch over to sythetic oil if regular has been used before? It has almost 109k. I'm not sure, but I think I read that somewhere.

2) I don't have a torque wrench, so should I just make sure its tight (not super tight)?

3) is that washer one that you can get at a hardware store? The nearest dealer is 45 mins away, and although that doesn't seem far, if youve ever driven in ri, especially the Newport area, there are like 8" potholes the whole way.

Thanks again,
Seamus

Ars Gladius
12-18-2010, 07:16 PM
1) isn't it not recommended to switch over to sythetic oil if regular has been used before? It has almost 109k. I'm not sure, but I think I read that somewhere.

The short answer: generally speaking, not any more. The caveat is that your engine must be in good working order and not be leaking right now. If that's the case, most modern oils are fully compatible with the elastomeric materials that engine seals are made from, and you shouldn't have any issues with leaks. The longer answer: http://www.carbibles.com/engineoil_bible.html

2) I don't have a torque wrench, so should I just make sure its tight (not super tight)?

I'd personally get a torque wrench. I can't comment on 'tightness' as that is very subjective, hence the invention of the torque wrench.

3) is that washer one that you can get at a hardware store? The nearest dealer is 45 mins away, and although that doesn't seem far, if youve ever driven in ri, especially the Newport area, there are like 8" potholes the whole way.

Probably not. I would be surprised if they did. An auto parts store may have it though. IPD sells them, could probably mail it to you fairly quick. Not sure how much of a hurry you are in.

Astro14
12-18-2010, 07:44 PM
If you want to know more about oil than you ever thought possible, start with the oil 101 on http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/cms/ then have fun surfing the forums...there are some passionately held convictions about oil...

From a practical/personal perspective, I bought the XC with about 90K two years ago and, just changed the oil today (serendipity?) with Pennzoil Ultra 5W40. I have run it on Mobil 1 for about 45K, no leaks, no oil consumption.

As Ars Gladius says, if it's working correctly, you can change over.

No worries.

Cheers,

Seamus
12-18-2010, 07:44 PM
Ehh, no hurry...

I might end up just doing it on Thursday with my uncle, since school ends Wednesday and my mom thinks i'll break her car, lol. That XC will soon be mine though (hopefully). Once I do it once with someone who actually knows what theyre doing i'll be all set, but im sure i wouldve been fine with the advice you guys gave me! I really appreciate all the help. But i think i may end up switching it over to synthetic so the engine last long, you know, gotta make sure the car is up to spec by the time i get it :D

Seamus