PDA

View Full Version : window cheese sliped off it's cracker in the ice

notafan
12-14-2010, 09:04 AM
We have a 2002xcv70 that recently lost it's passenger side window mechanism. In 15 degree temps, my daughter accidently hit the window switch, and the window ( stupid automatic garbage) tried to roll itself all the way down ( as they do when you simply touch the switch). The result was the window mechanism pulled itself right off the window inside the door, since the window was frozen in the rubber. Now the window has to be forced into position to keep it closed and will not open.

Are the inside door covers relatively simple to remove? I have little confidence in this vehicle being easy to work on. I do all my own work on everything else in my life, but absolutely hate this rig... so I am a little biased... Ha! We live far away from a Volvo mechanic so I am not willing to waste another day driving this thing to Reno just to spend my whole wad on a procedure that could be done on a Toyota by a 6th grader with one arm.

Anyone want to buy a Volvo? (sorry but I am a little fed up with this vehicle)

Ars Gladius
12-14-2010, 09:25 AM
Looks like a 4th grader with no arms could do it...

http://www.volvoxc.com/resources/how-to/pdf/door_panel_removal.pdf

Remove the trim bits as identfied in the PDF above.

There are 9 plastic fastners for each front door panel (6 for each rear door panel). They must all be removed before the panels can be pulled away from the door. Using a soft cloth, cover a Phillips/Roberts driver and apply pressure to the center of each fastner until it releases. Pull off the entire fastner including the centers and keep them in a safe place. You'll need every one of them to re-attach the panels.

Once all of the plastic fastners are removed, lift the panel up and slightly away from the door. You'll notice 3 wiring harnesses that must be detached from their housings, along with the door release cable. Once this is done, the door panel should come off easily.

skibo
12-16-2010, 01:22 PM
It's a nice system.

So much easier to get into a door than with the old GM stuff I'd always driven before (well, and still do, actually).

Of course, i'm a little miffed that I've had to get into the doors on 3 seperate occasions, but at least it's easy.